You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Achieving longer casts
03-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Achieving longer casts
I've been in a few situations recently where a longer cast would've put my offering in a better position. So today I was daydreaming about long casts.

I went outside to test if my slingshot could throw the bait further than my rod. With stock rubber bands, it can't. But I have some heavy-pull bands I haven't installed and I might try it with those.

Nevertheless I've found an article that you guys might want to comment on:

http://www.anglinglines.com/blog/long-di...t-further/

And finally, if you want to cast long, how do you maximize your distance?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 07:08 PM by MikeH.)
RE: Achieving longer casts
I used to do a lot of shore fishing in the UK as a kid and that usually involved beachcasting. I learned the pendulum cast, and the importance of matching the rod /reel with the correct line and weight to avoid snap offs. It was common to rig a streamlined paternoster setup with a float bead release clip that holds the bait tight in-line during the cast, but floats up the line and allows the bait to swing out freely once it has hit the water.

Over here I'm not sure that my old 16ft beachcaster and huge-ass spinning reel with the bail arm cut off and custom u-clip on the side would be the correct gear. Although It might give me a long range edge over the Salmon spooners at Port Credit, should I ever decide to go during the run. When I am fishing the eastern gap or trying to get across to the far side of the Island canals and under the boats I use my longer 11ft rod and larger reel, and swing a half pendulum cast which means I need room behind me.

If you want max distance you need to cast from the ground and set a pendulum swing out so that the rod is flex loaded before you pitch it forward.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I have no experience in beach casting or anything similar, so I can't chime in on that matter.

But, for bass, pike & walleye, It all depends on the set up. Line is a major factor, as is the rod and reel.

It's all based off experience, so you have to try and learn over time. I only use a 6'6" med heavy rod, a Okuma Avenger reel and the line depends, but it's 6-8lb mono, or 8-20lb Suffix 832 or Powerpro.

If you have any heavy mono around, just for fun, try and cast that far. Never happen, at least not consistently.

6lb mono will chuck baits far, but 20lb mono good luck, lol.

For the most part I use a side cast, one handed or two handed, but generally only one handed.
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Ever thought of trying a Baitcaster reel+rod? They generally cast much further than your standard spinning reels. I picked up a nice Baitcaster reel+rod from Bass Pro shop last week, but have not been able to try it out yet given the crappy weather we have had.
03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
The pendulum cast looks like an interesting concept... the problem being finding an area free of hooking into any passerbys.
03-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Awesome, first thing I'm going to do is go down from my 10lb mono to a 6lb. I put the 10lb on for the salmon run and never got to switching it back. Trilene XL Smooth casting? Is that a good bet?

I'm not in the position right now to invest in a better rod/reel combo. I can't justify buying something new, my grandfather has so many rods/reels he's not using.

I'm going to work around the pendulum cast concept depending on how much space is available. I'll focus more on loading my rod for each cast. That's a neat concept.

MikeH, I'd love to hear more about your surfcasting days! Pictures would be awesome too.

03-09-2012, 01:17 PM
dido on the baitcasting rod/reel setup. I just got one and took it out for the first time a few days ago and with the right settings that thing flies. If you go with a 7ft medium heavy pole with a baitcasting reel you should have no problems once you overcome the learning curve.
03-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I too have done a wee bit of surf fishing in my day, and admit that in the salt arena respect bait cast reels can out cast spinning reels - however the rig used is a lot heavier in salt than it is in fresh water, and salt water casting reels that cast the furthest have no level wind mechanisms to add friction (total free spool).

However the principles of the surf pendulum cast (loading the rod), coupled with a two handed opposing lever motion approach (one hand at the reel, & one hand on the butt), and a full follow through 180 degree thrust and snap with body motion - will send a lure quite a ways further using a spinning reel (in comparison to a one handed elbow/shoulder centered motion).
03-10-2012, 02:24 AM
(03-09-2012 05:26 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  However the principles of the surf pendulum cast (loading the rod), coupled with a two handed opposing lever motion approach (one hand at the reel, & one hand on the butt), and a full follow through 180 degree thrust and snap with body motion - will send a lure quite a ways further using a spinning reel (in comparison to a one handed elbow/shoulder centered motion).

I've been trying it out the past few days where there's space... kinda a newbie half-baked pendulum cast. Still my lure will go further with one of these! Awesome.

Also today was my first time back to 6lb mono from the 10lb I spooled in the fall. I went from generic 10lb line to Berkley XL 6lb line... what a difference! It's night and day. My line unspools as long as the lure's in the air, without getting hung up. =D

03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
From experience: Longer rod ~7'+, lighter line ~6-8lb test and heavier bait ~red devil spoon = longer casts. =)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to John Kimble for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-15-2012)