You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alewifes, stonecats and hogsuckers?
07-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Alewifes, stonecats and hogsuckers?
Hey everywone was wondering these guys actually catchable? If so what stratergies or locations is recommended to getting these lifers?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2018, 07:05 PM
RE: Alewifes, stonecats and hogsuckers?
I haven't had the pleasure of catching any of these species yet, but I know for a fact that they are all catchable. Stonecats are probably the most likely as several members on here have caught them. Do a search on here and you will see how many pop up. Hogsuckers I've been told get spooked quite easily, so if you happen to see one, you may only have one shot at it. Try to avoid having it see you or hear you. Alewife, despite the huge numbers of them, are tough to hook apparently. I know it took MuskieBait a long time to finally get one, but he eventually did. If you find any of these species, please share a report.
07-15-2018, 08:53 PM
I've caught an alewife during spawning season. Caught on a modified sabiki rig (Muskie Bait tip). Had my worm in front of a hog sucker for 10 minutes before I lost patience and spooked it. Yet to see a stonecat. Muskiebait should really write a book. I'd buy it! He is a wealth of knowledge.

At some point, it would be fun to have a meet-up somewhere for those of us who are into micro-species.
07-16-2018, 09:22 AM
(07-15-2018 08:53 PM)Roxy Wrote:  I've caught an alewife during spawning season. Caught on a modified sabiki rig (Muskie Bait tip). Had my worm in front of a hog sucker for 10 minutes before I lost patience and spooked it. Yet to see a stonecat. Muskiebait should really write a book. I'd buy it! He is a wealth of knowledge.

At some point, it would be fun to have a meet-up somewhere for those of us who are into micro-species.

I'd be up for such a trip!!! We'd just need to find a central spot that offers a decent variety.
07-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Hey I would join such a trip