You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Been waiting 40 years
09-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Been waiting 40 years
Been anxiously waiting 40 years to do some serious fishing. I spent the first part of my life moving around so often from one military base to another that I never had the opportunity to develop roots with any community. Then, by necessity not by choice, I became a workaholic for 40 years. Now I'd like to fish. That's always been on the top of my bucket list. I managed to do a little bit here and there. Self taught myself fly fishing, float fishing, and fell in love with down-rigging except I don't have a boat and most of the Charters I'd book always got cancelled due to unfavourable winds (Kincardine area). All my fishing experience has been done alone with no guidance....just trying enjoy my passion in small increments. It was better to try fishing with little opportunity and success than to not fish at all.
I'd finally like to catch a steelhead or a salmon.
The problem is that I'm new to the area and don't have a single friend or acquaintance who can help point me in the right direction regarding catching salmon or trout nearby. I live half on the shore of Lake Huron half way between Grand Bend and Sarnia
I'd like to try river fishing at Bayfield area or near Goderich but don't know the access points to those rivers. I scouted out both and particularily found little access.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2019, 09:58 PM
RE: Been waiting 40 years
Such a great story. I wish you lived a little closer to my location to walk you trough my favorite fishing grounds. I can offer an advice only. Try to talk to the guys you see fishing in the area. If you see someone with center pin setup just start the conversation with asking about the guy's rod and reel. It is a best starter simply because some people are trading vacations worth for this type of reel. From there local knowledge will start beaming off the person Big Grin
You are on the right pass anyway. Keep trying, keep researching.
Good Luck
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cutuzov for this post:
Glennb2 (09-28-2019)