You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Berkley Nanofil?
03-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Berkley Nanofil?
Anybody ever try using this stuff? I was thinking of testing it out, but it's like 4x as expensive as run-of-the-mill mono filament line.

Any honest feedback about this stuff?

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Berkley-Na...FI-B-NANO/

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2012, 08:24 AM
RE: Berkley Nanofil?
Thats interesting I have been using Power Pro now for a long time awesome stuff. However I may have to look in to Nanofil.

Rather be fish'n
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2012, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 11:19 AM by manitoubass2.)
I've used Nanofil for about a year.

My honest opinion is that it's great for vertical jigging, and ice fishing. It doesn't freeze up alot and has really good sensitivity.

Downsides, you have to tie your knot properly (double palomar) or the line WILL slip and you lose your lure/bait. It's also not abrasion resistant at all. A pike/walleye will bite you off easier than even mono.

Your better off using PowerPro, PowerPro slick (which is the cats ass), or Suffix 832 (which is also really nice.
One more benefit, it's really really small diameter and casts really good.
03-09-2012, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 12:25 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just re-spooled last night with 6lb trilene xl. I was using a generic 10 lb mono before. I did this with my junk(ier) rod a few days before and liked it.

If my mono experiment doesn't work out, maybe I will end up going braid. I just need to boost my casting distance without buying a new rod and reel lol. *face palm*

03-09-2012, 01:23 PM
I stick with Powerpro for my light setups, Suffix 832 (amazing) for medium or heavy rod, and if I need leaders I go with the 50yd spools of Rapala Flourocarbon.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to photo_rob for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-10-2012)
03-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Powerpro and Suffix are both braids. Any major differences between them?

03-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Suffix 832 has extra strands and is supposed to be a bit "rounder". I find it's slightly smoother on the cast and drag system. Can't go wrong with either once you make the switch to braid.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to photo_rob for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-10-2012)
03-10-2012, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 05:51 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(03-09-2012 01:23 PM)photo_rob Wrote:  I stick with Powerpro for my light setups, Suffix 832 (amazing) for medium or heavy rod, and if I need leaders I go with the 50yd spools of Rapala Flourocarbon.

Do you go with leaders to improve bite-off resistance and improve presentation? Do you always tie-on directly to the fluoro leader? Snap swivel? lb test of the fluoro?

03-10-2012, 06:39 PM
(03-10-2012 05:49 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  [quote='photo_rob' pid='392' dateline='1331313828']
I stick with Powerpro for my light setups, Suffix 832 (amazing) for medium or heavy rod, and if I need leaders I go with the 50yd spools of Rapala Flourocarbon.

Do you go with leaders to improve bite-off resistance and improve presentation? Do you always tie-on directly to the fluoro leader? Snap swivel? lb test of the fluoro?

[/quote

You should do both, adapting to the conditions. When fish are finicky, or your drop shotting, you should use a leader.

When fish are aggressive, or your fishing thick mats etc, tie direct with braid.

For pike fishing, I prefer to tie direct, but sometimes you basically have to use a leader.

It's all about learning, and reading the situation. When you've aquired enough knowledge/experience, you'll know how to approach the situation at hand.

If there is current, you might have to use a swivel or a barrel swivel to eliminate line twist. More often than not, fish will not bite at spinning presentations
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-16-2012)
03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
I've been using P-Line Flourcarbon for a few years now and it's worked out well. When fish are finicky, it can be difference between catchiing fish or being skunked. It's even more important to use when fishing clear lakes like Lake Simcoe.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to John Kimble for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-16-2012)