You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

California Trip Suggestions
07-30-2012, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 11:07 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
California Trip Suggestions
Soon to be off with the family to California! If you guys know anything about fishing in California (MikeH I know you love Vegas LOL) I'm open to your suggestions Smile.

I must consider before I leave:

-What sort of tackle to buy or bring
-What size and line capacity fishing reel(s) to bring
-Same goes for rod(s)
-Maybe I can borrow somebody's spare set-up if we're fishing together, 'else I'll probably buy the equipment I don't have or can't pack
-Buy a fishing licence (Ten-day Nonresident Sport Fishing License will work, I think)

I'm going to be a kid in a candy store Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

There are the family plans:

August 6 – fly Las Vegas and see city by night
Aug 7 – drive to Williams, Arizona (base for Grand Canyon)
Aug 8 – see Grand Canyon
Aug 9 – drive to California, check into Palm Springs (in the desert)
Aug 10 – tour Palm Springs (desert scenery, scenic tramway into the mountains?)
Aug 11 – head for San Diego – fishing
Aug 12 - San Diego - fishing
Aug 13 – book half-day deep-sea fishing trip (anybody recommend charters? I want to go after any sort of Tuna, if the season is open)
Aug. 14 – drive up toward Los Angeles, see beaches along the way
Aug 15 - LA: see Beverly Hills, se La Brea tar pits (where the mammoths were found)
Aug 16 – start drive from LA to Visalia
Aug 17 – see the mountains and giant sequoias (any recommendations for freshwater fishing in the mountains?)
Aug 18 – leave Visalia early to head back to Pacific Coast and drive up Highway 1 to Monterey (maybe stop to fish for very brief stops along the coast, time permitting)
Aug 19 – see Monterey aquarium and Carmel beach (fish in evening from Monterey pier?)
Aug 20 - whale watching in Monterey Bay (fish again from Monterey pier in evening?)
Aug 21 – optional – drive to Pinnacles National Monument for the day
OR Aug 21 – drive to San Francisco for return flight
Aug 22 or 23 – fly back home.

If anybody spots more fishing opportunities in those plans, let me know.

I'm going to be doing my best Googling to learn as much as I can beforehand. Saltwater, freshwater... anything!

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2012, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012 08:19 AM by MikeH.)
RE: California Trip Suggestions
OK....Big Grin

Going from Las Vegas to Williams you will cross the new bridge at Hoover dam, stop and do the walk onto the top, its amazing!

10 miles south on the AZ side from the Hoover Dam you will pass Willow Beach on your right, my "local" az fishing hole. They have a floating fishing dock and boat rentals. Every Friday they release trout from the hatchery there, and lots of big stripers come in to feed for the weekend.

Several people have told me that Williams Arizona itself is a good base for a fishing hotspot, about a dozen local lakes, bass and trout. (GOOGLE) I have fished several places in the grand Canyon, (most recently angel creek, on the north rim though, nowhere near flagstaff or Williams)

Palm springs, head south to Salton Sea, large landlocked saltwater lake (do some inland saltwater fishing!). There was a fishing pier at the recreation area (try google) I wasn't driving so I dont remember the exact route. We caught tilapia there!

Los Angeles - Aside from the ocean piers, theres a huge urban fishing scene in LA. I have fished right downtown in LA when I was there on a conference trip. Caught some decent Carp (Echo Park or lake?) Google LA fishing piers and resovoirs and storm ponds.

Never had the chance to fish in San diego, despite being there four or five times, let me know what you find!

Definitely check out Bass Pro when you are in the SouthWest, Doesnt sound like you will be anywhere near the Vegas one (south at Blue Diamond) but of you can get to one, will find a ton of plastics and lures that we cant get here. For sea fishing I usually buy a medium, or medium heavy rod reel combo from Bass Pro for under $50 bucks, fish the bejeezus out of it for a week and then give it to a local kid when I leave. Unlikely that you will find a rental for less.

For rivers and lakes I pack a decent telescopic, like the Exage.

EDIT* Looks like I will be working in San Jose for at least a week in August, so I'll be checking out the San Fran fishing scene!

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Made a fishing travel tube?
PVC long/wide enough for poles, 2 end caps, one super glued and one screwed on/tape.
Check airlines, they may let it on as either special or checked luggage

California has a preference to saltwater, but there are many places in Norcal to hook bass and such.
The ocean fish are much more agressive, use an ultralight setup if you like a fight!
Bait-holder hook, with squid or shrimp is always productive.
If you're going for big fish, ugly stik tiger rod, and a reel by penn maybe.
Braid with a flurocarbon leader, they don't even see it coming!

If you have time to stop in San Francisco, there is a municipal fishing pier.
Free admission, possibly no license (don't quote me on that!)
Kind of pretty, fishing with the Golden Gate bridge in the background.

FISH SALTWATER > RINSE REEL AND SPOOL
or you're gonna have a bad time. Rust Rust Rust!

Good luck!
Find all posts by this user
08-02-2012, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 05:07 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Thanks for the advice guys! Smile

This trip I'll be trying to catch fish species that aren't available here. Bass and carp haven't even crossed my mind LOL there're enough of them here Big Grin.

I've learned a lot about saltwater species that I can go for, but I really have no idea what I can get in the freshwater. What sorts of trout are available there? I've read reports of bull (protected), golden (palomino), rainbows, brown, and cutthroats. The whole shabang!

I wonder what other fish I've never caught before I could find in the freshwater...

Unfortunately, seems we'll be passing the Hoover on a Tuesday, so the stripers probably won't be there(?)

MikeH, how long a rod do you use for fishing on the beach? What line strength do you use? Shock leader? I like your idea of buying something at BPS once I'm there... actually I might stock up on gear since everything is well cheaper LOL ... and buy a lot of PVC Big Grin

Surf fishing is new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as I can in the days I have left Smile. I'll try to fish as much as possible in the surf because I've never caught anything out of the ocean before!

08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
If ya go salt - Get yer surf gear there........... lot cheaper........get a cheap 3pc sectional rod cheap carry it & mail the rest to yourself at home.

On the beach - 15 to 30 Lb. Rinse all gear at end of day.

Go to a local bait shop - get cut bait, or clams , then do what they recommend for the area

Good Luck..................

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (08-02-2012)
08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Just mapped out the route with pops, seems like we're covering ground over 2 weeks!

Our route on google maps:
http://goo.gl/maps/Z8LCq

08-02-2012, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 10:25 PM by MikeH.)
(08-02-2012 05:05 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Thanks for the advice guys! Smile

This trip I'll be trying to catch fish species that aren't available here. Bass and carp haven't even crossed my mind LOL there're enough of them here Big Grin.

I've learned a lot about saltwater species that I can go for, but I really have no idea what I can get in the freshwater. What sorts of trout are available there? I've read reports of bull (protected), golden (palomino), rainbows, brown, and cutthroats. The whole shabang!

I wonder what other fish I've never caught before I could find in the freshwater...

Unfortunately, seems we'll be passing the Hoover on a Tuesday, so the stripers probably won't be there(?)

MikeH, how long a rod do you use for fishing on the beach? What line strength do you use? Shock leader? I like your idea of buying something at BPS once I'm there... actually I might stock up on gear since everything is well cheaper LOL ... and buy a lot of PVC Big Grin

Surf fishing is new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as I can in the days I have left Smile. I'll try to fish as much as possible in the surf because I've never caught anything out of the ocean before!

Here's how I got by before I owned decent telescopics....!

FISHING PIERS

http://www.pierfishing.com/resources/?id...hing_piers

You usually don't need a fishing license to fish from a pier, for some reason it counts as being on the water. Most fishing piers are around $10 for a full day and not only do they sell bait, they usually rent out gear too if you dont have any.

I am working in Northern Carolina for the first time next week from Wednesday onward, and I am planning on hitting the 24hr fishing piers around Nags Head for the Friday and Saturday sessions!

I should also be heading to San Jose at the end of the month, so I'll be definitely going back to Fishermans wharf and pier 7 in San Francisco

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/users...48510.aspx

If you are fishing from the beach, you will need at least 12ft rod, 15 if you can manage. Run a shock leader as a 10 pound per ounce factor of your lead weight. (if you are casting 4 ozs, get 40lb shock). If you manage a leopard shark, pretend you meant it!!! Big Grin

You can get away with shorter rods on the pier, plus most pier will let you fish up to three rods, (you pay per rod though). check to see what the current local bait is, I am expecting to be using double clams on a paternoster rig next week as its the start of King Mackerel.

08-03-2012, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 05:58 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Awesome thanks Mike! What about line strength for the main line? 15lb? Is that too light?

I just had a look at my suitcases... and my 2 piece 7 foot bass rod won't fit in any of them! We're only taking 2 suitcases so we have 2 extra pieces of bagge.

Air Canada:

When packed separately, each of the following counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type:
fishing rod in rod case + tackle box
tackle bag + reels
landing net
boots
Waivers / Charges

Fishing rod in rod case:
No oversize or additional piece charges apply to a fishing rod in its case if it is carried with a tackle box.

All other additional checked baggage rules apply.

Packing instructions

The fishing rod(s) must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping.

Hmm..... what about a PVC pipe... I doubt that would count! Confused... and there's no number to call!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL

08-03-2012, 06:47 PM
(08-03-2012 05:58 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Awesome thanks Mike! What about line strength for the main line? 15lb? Is that too light?

I just had a look at my suitcases... and my 2 piece 7 foot bass rod won't fit in any of them! We're only taking 2 suitcases so we have 2 extra pieces of bagge.

Air Canada:

When packed separately, each of the following counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type:
fishing rod in rod case + tackle box
tackle bag + reels
landing net
boots
Waivers / Charges

Fishing rod in rod case:
No oversize or additional piece charges apply to a fishing rod in its case if it is carried with a tackle box.

All other additional checked baggage rules apply.

Packing instructions

The fishing rod(s) must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping.

Hmm..... what about a PVC pipe... I doubt that would count! Confused... and there's no number to call!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL

I usually go with 20lb if I am on the deep end of the pier, 15 or even 10 if I am jigging among the pier pylons, or fishing just outside the breakers halfway along the pier. (Just make sure you have your drag set properly Tongue ) I got a 10ft heavy "Catbuster" combo with a large size open face reel for $45, last trip to Bass Pro in L.A., and went striper and King fishing with it every evening for a week.

I'm driving down to North Carolina next week, so I'll be packing the car full of fishing gear, the benefit of a road trip I guess. San Jose on the 22nd, I'll pack the 13ft interline and 7ft Exage into my suitcase.

08-03-2012, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 08:21 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
well, I just had an interesting time at Home Depot and Rona...

Apparently PVC pipe is very expensive. To build a 3.5' rod holder it would have cost $20... when a proper one only costs $32 from LeBaron and I could buy something THERE for just a little bit more....

So depressing, why would PVC cost so much!! That's the cheapest pipe they had that would fit the widest guide on my rod.