You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Catfishing Dilema
08-17-2013, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2013 06:21 AM by OldTimer.)
RE: Catfishing Dilema
Just because a fish is taking line does not mean the hook is set. It or the lure body may simply be clamped/caught in position. (for example:........ next time you catch a big channel cat - stick your thumb in its mouth to discover how much force they can apply on a foreign object.............smile)

Even the best of drags have to deal with inertia and static adhesion - and there will be a stress peak before it begins to slip.......... so yes the "jerk" will apply a quick tension pulse to the hook point.

Some say circle hooks need no setting......... I don't.

The jaws and toothy structures of some fish resist good penetration.

When using mono the line stretch will work against a good hook set if relying on just reeling pressure.

Plus no matter how much you try to keep hooks sharp - some will get dull during a day of use.

I strive to react like a robot on the "take" of any bait or lure and set the hook HARD as quickly as I can when the line is taught. I only tone this down a tad when fishing Crappie (aka Papermouth).

In saltwater on bigger fish I may set the hook 2, 3, . even 4 times.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (08-20-2013)
08-20-2013, 02:06 AM
Thanks OT, you made a good point that the fish could simply be holding the bait/lure in its mouth... ready to shake it off when it pleases.

[Image: logobgs.png]
08-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Best thing to fix this .. lose the treble hook .. go to a circle live bait hook. Never once have I deep hooked a fish .. just tighten your line hook sets itself.. biggest catfish I have got is 18 lbs.
Find all posts by this user
08-22-2013, 04:00 PM
(08-22-2013 12:51 PM)Jeff Christian Wrote:  Best thing to fix this .. lose the treble hook .. go to a circle live bait hook. Never once have I deep hooked a fish .. just tighten your line hook sets itself.. biggest catfish I have got is 18 lbs.

Thanks...

I'll probably loose the trebles when I run out of them... I have seen some single dough hooks online at bass pro.

I have been using circle hooks that's what is confounding.

I went out last night and I caught 2 more medium ones (for the Ottawa) 4-5 lb range and the circle hooks worked perfectly.... Go figure.

I may have to plan a night on the St. Lawrence to see if I can get a bigger one there.

I have got about 25 catfish this year and all the medium ones I am catching now are in the 4-5 pound range at 6 or 7 different locations in Ottawa. I am trying get into the 2nd and 3rd standard deviation of the catfish demographic from shore but I seem to be stuck. Above average for the region (2-4 being average) but I am looking for bigger.
08-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Depth available from shore in the smaller river may likely be part of your problem.......... in combination with the time of year.

Little data or information is available on where "exactly" the largest of our Ontario Channel Catfish actually spend their summers.

Increasing bait size substantially will eliminate the smaller cats .......... by "big" I mean a chunk of cut bait about the size of a Blackberry - but twice as thick with a 4/0 hook in it.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
zippyFX (08-22-2013)
08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
(08-22-2013 04:24 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Depth available from shore in the smaller river may likely be part of your problem.......... in combination with the time of year.

Little data or information is available on where "exactly" the largest of our Ontario Channel Catfish actually spend their summers.

Increasing bait size substantially will eliminate the smaller cats .......... by "big" I mean a chunk of cut bait about the size of a Blackberry - but twice as thick with a 4/0 hook in it.

OT

As always, your sage advice is appreciated Smile

I am using up my smaller terminal tackle and rigs and I'm going to start making heavier ones.

I may have to wait for next spring to get the bigger ice out cats from shore Sad
08-25-2013, 08:40 PM
zippy, I patiently await your Ottawonian Channel Monster Smile

[Image: logobgs.png]