You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cool crankbait article
03-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Cool crankbait article
Nice read:

http://www.faqs.org/freshwater-fishing/S...Baits.html

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2012, 01:18 AM
RE: Cool crankbait article
Nice..Learned some new things
Find all posts by this user
03-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Good article, explains alot about crank baits. Once question i still have though is, what is the difference in the bill being round vs square and wide vs narrow?
03-25-2012, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 01:18 PM by prime89.)
The Bill contributes to how deep the bait runs and also the action of the bait, a very wide action or more tighter wobble.

If its narrow and long, it will run deeper, square billed crankbaits are usally for shallower waters with a nice tight wobble action. The bills also helps in preventing snags, u can use the bait to bang it of structure on the bottom to produce reaction strikes.

Hope that helps somewhat, I'm still learning too.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to prime89 for this post:
manitoubass2 (03-26-2012), MichaelAngelo (03-25-2012)
03-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I can explain it in depth tomorrow. I've got tonnes of time in fishing all sorts of cranks.

I will say my favorite crank/lip is the Rapala DT10. When it hits strucure, it will back itself up and swim around the structure. Very very snag proof for a crank bait. I've casted them in 3 FOW with rock bottom and it still doesn't hang up. It's a great technique for spring walleye. I call it dragging cranks.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-26-2012), prime89 (03-26-2012)
03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Those are some good points prime89!

The thickness of the bill, and also the angle of the bill play a part in the running depth as well.

A long bill, that runs straight off the nose of the bait, will run the deepest (in most cases) a slight angle down on the bill and it will run a little shallower. Also, the thinner the bill, the deeper it will run (this is where you see metal bills, or older baits made with lexan board). A longer bill also allows the lure to hit rocks and redirect around the obstacle, but the longer the bill, the further the treble hooks stay away from potential snags. These baits run with the nose of the bait angled down as well(like a feeding bait fish)

A bill that's angled straight down will usually run no deeper than 3 feet a a very fast retrieve, and will remain horizontal when retrieved.

There are literally thousands of combination of lip length, material, lip thickness, lip angle etc.
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
(03-26-2012 12:22 PM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  The thickness of the bill, and also the angle of the bill play a part in the running depth as well.

A way to put that info into practice:

http://texasoutdoorsman.com/2011/07/28/i...rank-bait/

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user