You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Curing Roe
09-23-2012, 11:48 PM
RE: Curing Roe
Wow! How long was it in the freezer for! Looks FRESH!!

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2012, 11:55 PM
that has only been in there for a year. I got a couple hens last year late in the season full of loose eggs. This cureing method was passed onto me from my father and its tried and tested. Ive pulled out eggs that have seen 3+ years in the freezer and it comes out jsut the same as the day it went in.
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2012, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 12:06 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(09-23-2012 11:55 PM)Ridx Wrote:  that has only been in there for a year. I got a couple hens last year late in the season full of loose eggs. This cureing method was passed onto me from my father and its tried and tested. Ive pulled out eggs that have seen 3+ years in the freezer and it comes out jsut the same as the day it went in.

Looks really fantastic. How did you get the loose eggs? Milking the hen or scraping off the skein? Have you ever tried with skein?

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-24-2012, 07:14 AM
(09-23-2012 11:32 PM)Ridx Wrote:  Ive always used a distilled water, borax sugar sea salt brine sollution, however i let them sit in the brine for 20-24 hours in the fridge, then jsut strain and freeze in protions in ziplock bags and i air vacuum the air out. They last for years in the freezer and when thawed they dont lose any shape they are still solid and you can bounce them off the floor without breaking them. They are even hard to break between your fingers and they kep their natural smell and colour. Here is a pic of the roe i pulled out of the freezer last week.

[Image: roeb.jpg]

What ingredient mix ratio do you use for the solution?

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-24-2012, 08:41 AM
I never milk a salmon last year I went late in the season and got a couple hens late in the season that were ful off loose eggs already. As far as the mix ratio for the brine.

Depending on the amount of eggs you want to cure I use 1 cup Borax, 1 cup sea salt or non iodized salt, 1 cup sugar and 4 cups distilled water. Its really not much different then the ones out there you can find easily on the internet but the difference is i let them sit in the sollution for 20-24 hours rather then the hour these recipes call for and i dont dry the eggs after I jsut strain and bag em. If you have alot of eggs you can add more borax to the sollution. I have lots of eggs and can spare some if anyone is in dire need of some for this steelhead season. You can also add colour to the egs if you want to by adding jello to your sollution or brown sugar depending on the colour's you want. I tend to only use natural and brown sugar.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Ridx for this post:
MichaelAngelo (09-24-2012), OldTimer (09-24-2012)
09-24-2012, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 01:40 PM by OldTimer.)
This is a much stronger solution than that I tried in the past, and the soaking time is MUCH longer.......... perhaps the reason for my having problems.

Thankyou!

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-24-2012, 03:18 PM
You're welcome! Glad i could be of help