You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

First Post
04-11-2017, 05:41 PM
First Post
As I sit here on the floor of my new Montreal apartment with a nearly indescribable mess of fishing gear spread all around me, I figure that this would be as good a time as any to make my introductory post to this community. I’m trying to once again ‘organize’ myself for a trip back home for the quickly approaching Ontario Trout season.

I came across this community midway through last season while trying to find some information on some of Ontario’s lesser targeted species that I had yet to cross off my lifer list. With my first glance through the forums I did manage to find some useful threads to help point me in the right direction, but what immediately caught my eye was the Multi-Species Challenge. Considering myself a bit of a multi-species angler, I had full intentions on submitting some entries for this upcoming season; however, I have since relocated to Quebec and from what I gather this will disqualify most of my fishing efforts from admission … at least in 2017. I’ll still enter my Ontario catches for this year; though my time spent fishing my home waters will be quite limited.

I caught my first fish in 1993 (See Below …). I was just three years old. I spent the next thirteen years fishing occasionally and catching the same FIVE species over and over again and never got tired of it, I honestly thought that was all there was. All this changed when I was sixteen and was invited for a weekend on the Ottawa River at a friend’s cottage. I hooked my first Pike and Channel Catfish along with getting a glimpse of a Longnose Gar. I had no idea that these fish even existed, let alone right in my own backyard and I was absolutely blown away. I quickly developed a much more serious passion for fishing, catching my 100th species just last month on a trip to Florida and couldn’t have asked for a better landmark catch than my very first Tarpon (Also see below …).

Although I am now a ‘Quebecer’, I still feel I have a lot to learn from the fishing wisdom of this community and have a lot to share of my own past experiences in Ontario and my new experiences to come here in La Belle Province. The fish don’t know they’re French … same rules still apply.

I’ll make a post later this week with some of the lifers I hope to cross of this year as I explore the many new fishing opportunities that a fresh start has to offer. Of course, I am always looking for pointers.

Cheers,
Nick P

Not sure how these pictures will look ... new to this formatting.

Species #1

Species #100
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to NickP27 for this post:
Epic (04-19-2017)
04-12-2017, 02:07 PM
RE: First Post
Hey Nick,

Nice tarpon............ (I think?)

Indescribable messes are the only way to fly in fishing tackle. Untangling is better than meditation and provides inner peace and punctured digits.

Great intro too!

Looking forward to your posts, reports, and entries in the MSC.

...............a belated Welcome aboard.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2017, 09:56 PM
RE: First Post
Welcome aboard! Don't hesitate to post an unofficial competition entry... it'll nice to see your entries. We may be able to get waivers on some species... also would love to see your trip reports.

Ian originally from old Montreal and try to fish there sometimes...

I've been thinking of hitting beaver lake for gold fish and exotics but the algae killed everything off last year.... spotted some gold fish at the ponds in old Montreal but had no rod.
Find all posts by this user