You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing at Scugog
07-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Fishing at Scugog
Hello Community!

I tried fishing at Lake Scugog this past Sunday. Went with a few friends who don't fish on a regular basis...they came because of free fishing week. It was raining for the most part but despite the weather, we trooped it out.

The night before, I went to a local bait store in the GTA and asked them if they had any tips for fishing Lake Scugog. They were persistent on pushing bright pink plastic worms. Unfortunately they didn't work. We were able to find pretty decent shore fishing spots but all we pulled out were sunfish. I tried a top water frog and I had a hit on it between lily pads but the fish knocked the lure in the air as it struck. I also tried a drop shot rig but i don't think I was punching through the forest of weeds they got going on in that lake.

I ended up speaking to a local fisherman at the lake who told me that they had a bass tournament the day before so fishing would be tough...and it was.

I've fished Scugog before and was able to pull out at least a few LMBass every trip. It was just unfortunate that this trip wasn't as productive.

Question: Do you think Lake Scugog is 'fished out'?

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2014, 02:17 PM
RE: Fishing at Scugog
high pressured and not many shore spots....you'll find fish there but will need to be in a boat....
07-19-2014, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2014 10:56 AM by arcane929.)
The guys here told me that live bait is a lot better. I believe them now coz I wasn't catching any with my plastics in the beginning of the season but when I tried using live minnows, I was able to hook a few bass and a nice size walleye in my last attempt at a different lake.

I was thinking of going to scugog sometime in the next week or two. Hopefully my trip won't be in vain as it will be my first time going there.
07-20-2014, 05:13 PM
I fish Scugog often. Shore spots aren't great on that Lake. A boat gives you a huge advantage. And no Bass are not fished out, Walleye is a different story though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-20-2014, 09:33 PM
(07-19-2014 10:56 AM)arcane929 Wrote:  The guys here told me that live bait is a lot better. I believe them now coz I wasn't catching any with my plastics in the beginning of the season but when I tried using live minnows, I was able to hook a few bass and a nice size walleye in my last attempt at a different lake.

I was thinking of going to scugog sometime in the next week or two. Hopefully my trip won't be in vain as it will be my first time going there.

Live bait is generally better if used properly. Worms, leeches, minnows all good!
07-24-2014, 12:26 AM
(07-17-2014 08:58 PM)N3XTST3P Wrote:  Hello Community!

I tried fishing at Lake Scugog this past Sunday. Went with a few friends who don't fish on a regular basis...they came because of free fishing week. It was raining for the most part but despite the weather, we trooped it out.

The night before, I went to a local bait store in the GTA and asked them if they had any tips for fishing Lake Scugog. They were persistent on pushing bright pink plastic worms. Unfortunately they didn't work. We were able to find pretty decent shore fishing spots but all we pulled out were sunfish. I tried a top water frog and I had a hit on it between lily pads but the fish knocked the lure in the air as it struck. I also tried a drop shot rig but i don't think I was punching through the forest of weeds they got going on in that lake.

I ended up speaking to a local fisherman at the lake who told me that they had a bass tournament the day before so fishing would be tough...and it was.

I've fished Scugog before and was able to pull out at least a few LMBass every trip. It was just unfortunate that this trip wasn't as productive.

Cheers!

I went there a lot in the last couple of years, less fish than before, and of course live baits r much better, but try some green plastic worm.
08-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Call me old fashion, but I have never really been a fan of plastics. I much prefer the real McCoy. I do use plastics from time to time but only if nothing else works. If plastics don't work I start hitting my head against my rod and repeat the words........doh!...........should of brought live bait!...............But on a positive note, that does not happen much because I have learned my lesson and just use live bait when ever possible.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ifish for this post:
observer135 (07-17-2016)
09-01-2014, 05:34 PM
(08-02-2014 12:47 AM)ifish Wrote:  Call me old fashion, but I have never really been a fan of plastics. I much prefer the real McCoy. I do use plastics from time to time but only if nothing else works. If plastics don't work I start hitting my head against my rod and repeat the words........doh!...........should of brought live bait!...............But on a positive note, that does not happen much because I have learned my lesson and just use live bait when ever possible.

can't agree with you more, but most of the time, I only caught palm size with live bait...
07-05-2019, 01:13 PM
(07-24-2014 12:26 AM)Ontarion Wrote:  
(07-17-2014 08:58 PM)N3XTST3P Wrote:  Hello Community!

Cheers!

I went there a lot in the last couple of years, less fish than before, and of course live baits r much better, but try some green plastic worm.

Any one fished in this lake lately?
07-06-2019, 08:09 PM
(07-05-2019 01:13 PM)mengsky Wrote:  Any one fished in this lake lately?

Not yet this year, but I certainly intend to. It's heavily pressured but is still a great spot.