You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Get downtown... car or transit better?
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 11:51 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Get downtown... car or transit better?
I make a trek downtown every week (only once.. yes lucky) , which do you guys prefer? I have the option for either...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
RE: Get downtown... car or transit better?
(02-08-2012 11:51 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I make a trek downtown every week (only once.. yes lucky) , which do you guys prefer? I have the option for either...

From Scarborough the RT is definitely the cheapest route... from Markham not sure since GO fair and YRT fair are extra from TTC
Find all posts by this user
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah the extra fair is a bummer. But with parking prices as they are, it's bad either way lol. commuting is not cheap.
02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
At least you GTA guys have a decent transit system, the Niagara Region is way behind the times in public transit regards, mind you they have FINALLY got fulltime GO Bus service, summer weekend GO train service and the newest Regional transit service which gets you to any city in the Niagara Region for $5.00
I wish I could use it more, but the scheduling is stupid, guess things take time to weed out, so my answer would be car ...for now lol
02-13-2012, 11:24 PM
(02-08-2012 07:41 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  At least you GTA guys have a decent transit system, the Niagara Region is way behind the times in public transit regards, mind you they have FINALLY got fulltime GO Bus service, summer weekend GO train service and the newest Regional transit service which gets you to any city in the Niagara Region for $5.00
I wish I could use it more, but the scheduling is stupid, guess things take time to weed out, so my answer would be car ...for now lol

I remember waiting for the bus as kid in Markham... trying to decide if it was faster just to walk. 30 minute bus intervals sucked growing up!

Things are better now for the YRT... I think lol

[Image: logobgs.png]
02-14-2012, 11:23 PM
(02-13-2012 11:24 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 07:41 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  At least you GTA guys have a decent transit system, the Niagara Region is way behind the times in public transit regards, mind you they have FINALLY got fulltime GO Bus service, summer weekend GO train service and the newest Regional transit service which gets you to any city in the Niagara Region for $5.00

I remember waiting for the bus as kid in Markham... trying to decide if it was faster just to walk. 30 minute bus intervals sucked growing up!

Things are better now for the YRT... I think lol

Haha! we are STILL on thirty minute intervals here in NiagaraAngry Almost 500,000 people here in the region and we are so far behind in regards transportation and our ridiculous hospital system, mind you, other than that, this is a great place to live, lot of fun and entertainment and a fifteen minute drive to downtown Buffalo and forty-five to an hour drive to downtown Toronto.
02-15-2012, 02:39 AM
(02-14-2012 11:23 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  a fifteen minute drive to downtown Buffalo and forty-five to an hour drive to downtown Toronto.

That's pretty epic, which city do you prefer!

02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
(02-15-2012 02:39 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-14-2012 11:23 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  a fifteen minute drive to downtown Buffalo and forty-five to an hour drive to downtown Toronto.

That's pretty epic, which city do you prefer!

Honestly, both cities are unique in their own way. Toronto is a real pain in the butt to access, the downtown core has outrageous parking fees but the city itself has a real clean, safe look to it, where as Buffalo is real easy to access and has cheap parking downtown, mind you there is some real shady, dangerous run down parts of Buffalo close to the downtown core that keeps you more on edge when walking around there.
So it's hard to compare, I enjoy visiting both for non fishing trips, but seeing as I am a fan of hockey, you really cannot go wrong with the Queen City of Buffalo, New York. The Sabres have way cheaper tickets than the Maple Leafs and with the ease of access mentioned before, I visit Buffalo more often.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Frank81 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (02-16-2012)
03-31-2012, 11:43 PM
I travel downtown almost every day for the past 5+ years. It really comes down to personal preference.

public transit definately has more pros than cons. (pros: no traffic, no need to park (a hassle and expensive), dont have to worry about random no left/right turns ; cons: i hate being stuck somewhere with a million people, especially during rush hour. I dont know if this is much of a con for you).

The only thing good about driving is probably the fact that you dont have to walk about much and you dont have to be trampled during rush hour. You do, however, have to sit through the traffic that starts.. well.. basically all day every day.

Personally I rather sit through traffic than take the subway and be trampled all over.
04-03-2012, 02:03 AM
(03-31-2012 11:43 PM)dsukh Wrote:  dont have to worry about random no left/right turns

I understand the no left turns and no right turn on red... but....

The no right turn on green was killer for me last year. My first HTA violation, man was i an unhappy camper.

Best part of it all? There was also a no right turn on red sign at that same intersection. Mucho confusing. Everybody lined up outside the courtroom pointed this out.

*grumble grumble* lol