You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Grass Carp at Dunnville
03-23-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: Grass Carp at Dunnville
Variety still is nice...

....... as is white sand and palm trees............... rather than snow squalls and frost bite............ smile

But like I said before earlier : " I enjoy my current outings.......... but do recall a better time."

........... both here and afar (Florida and the islands).

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 04:40 PM
(03-23-2014 10:26 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(03-23-2014 10:20 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(09-29-2013 07:04 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  Why do many people go on fly-in trips or travel afar to fish (or dream of doing such) if it's so great here?

Because people dream of doing something different and learning new things in the process. People also get bored of fishing the same species over and over again.

I've been in denial about Ontario for a very long time, probably my whole life I've wanted to be somewhere tropical. The past year of fishing here in Ontario has changed my perspective quite a bit. Ontario is a special place in that we have so much water here, and there is so much to explore. Every month brings with it a new season and style of angling. From steelheading in creeks to bass in the summer to salmon in the fall to ice fishing in the winter. That doesn't even begin to cover the variety over time Ontario has to offer. It will probrably be a few more years until I can say I've truly experienced what Ontario has to offer fishing-wise. There's stuff I haven't even started to work on... like BoQ walleye, big muskie, back lake brook trout being some of the endeavors on the back burner.

Yes, like MB has said before Ontario is a lot of the same kinds of fish, but the sheer amount of fresh water and ever-changing seasons there is in this part of the world is mind-boggling.

At least here we have a good mix of warm water and cold water species.. You can tackle a bass, pike, salmon or trout, carp, etc all on the same day.. Opposed to a lot of places in the southern US where it's just bass bass bass.

Work is a necessity... Fishing is a lifestyle Smile

http://fishinenvy.wordpress.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-17-2017, 07:39 AM
(09-29-2013 07:04 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(09-28-2013 09:26 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Bring it on! Tongue

Common Carp was all doom and gloom...now it is huge recreational fishery...especially on the St. Lawrence and in Hamilton. I don't hear people grumbling anymore. How many carp reports are here on OSF? Rolleyes

That shows how much our local fisheries have degenerated.

Why do many people go on fly-in trips or travel afar to fish (or dream of doing such) if it's so great here?

No matter how much lipstick ya put on the pig........ it's still a pig.

Luckily - we all adapt and make the best of what's available..... and possible. I enjoy my current outings.......... but do recall a better time.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Carp aren't the reason the fisheries have degenerated. Bad stocking programs, fishing pressure and urbanization are the real causes.

Carp have been in North America for almost 200 years. They provide a lot of eggs for bass and other species that greatly offsets the number of eggs carp might eat. And don't forget, they were brought here just like brown trout, cause they were considered a food staple and sport fish at one time.

The reasons I see for people targeting carp recently are 2-fold:

1) Better education surrounding carp.
2) Ppl want to experience a big fish in an urban area.

Things evolve. Ecosystems do not stay static. Some of the species we like now are going to die off and be replaced by species that thrive in new conditions.
Find all posts by this user
07-22-2018, 09:50 PM
Tough catch
Find all posts by this user