You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Getting started
11-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Getting started
Hi all, I am glad to join this forum. I live in brampton and am an outdoor person. I really wanted to learn fishing.
I started off last year with lot of excitement, got the licence, got all the equipments, learned about the basics online and ran to the lakes. To my disappointment, have not been able to catch a single fish Confused. Have tried at Norton park place and at lake simcoe. Probably I am doing something wrong but am very eager to learn fishing and catch one.
Are there any fishing lessons in brampton that I can join next year.

Rgds,
Abhi
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2013, 02:59 AM
RE: Getting started
Welcome aboard!

To get things started I suggest a super basic setup.... In the spring, get some worms, a bobber(set to 6-8 inches above the hook), with small hooks (size 6 or 8); Find some weeds and cast, let settle and reel back slowly, pausing occasionally; If there are fish they will bite. You should get perch, blue gill, pumpkinseed, and may even get some bass. I point my 6 six year old to the weeds and he uses this technique to pull in fish after fish. Not sexy but a start.

Once you start catching you can tweak and modify....
11-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Welcome!

Just keep going at it and trying new techniques, you'll eventually find something that works for that area. Fishing is quite difficult when first starting up, but eventually you'll get good enough to catch a fish in almost any body of water.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi Abhi,

Welcome to the OSF forum.

You'll find lots to read in the articles section on this site that should help your catch.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2013, 10:18 PM
What techniques have you tried so far?

Are you fishing from shore? River fishing tends to be much more conducive to shore fishing than lake fishing.
12-06-2013, 09:00 PM
hey Abhi
welcome to the forum.
what fish are you targeting, maybe using the wrong equipment and tackle.
do you know what fish are in the body of water where you are going.
as for lessons, just go online and search the target fish ie bass small or large mouth (big difference). learn about there habitat what they eat, etcetera. Use bait to mimic their diet. Same goes for the body of water, learn as much as you can ie: what type of fish are there, is and where is the feeder creek(if a lake).
And just ask experienced fisherman, most will help to a point. But you may have to listen to a few stories about the ones that got away.