You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hamilton bay - Walleye Stocking
07-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Hamilton bay - Walleye Stocking
It is great to see that Hamilton's bay water quality has improved to the point where the MNR has initiated a new stocking program. They put 100,000 walleye fingerlings in the bay last week:

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/articl...itive-sign

GOOD STUFF!

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2012, 09:20 AM
RE: Hamilton bay - Walleye Stocking
(07-24-2012 07:42 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  It is great to see that Hamilton's bay water quality has improved to the point where the MNR has initiated a new stocking program. They put 100,000 walleye fingerlings in the bay last week:

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/articl...itive-sign

GOOD STUFF!

Cheers,

OldTimer

That's fantastic. In a passing conversation with a fellow angler at Milne Dam Park in Markham, I learned that Walleye used to be abundant there as well.

Another angler told me that walleye used to outnumber bass in the Kawarthas.

I wonder which factor contributed more to their decline: not being as hardy as bass or people keeping every single walleye they caught.

I've yet to catch my first walleye!

[Image: logobgs.png]
07-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Bass are not native to any Ontario inland lake - only the Great Lakes and St Lawrence systems originally had the species., yet walleye were native in many inland lakes.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/...095205.pdf

No doubt - the decline of the walleye is due to competition from competing species, overfishing (both sport and commercial), and loss of suitable habitat and spawning areas (i.e pollution, silt, construction).

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (07-24-2012)
07-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Awesome! It will be cool to add walleye to the list of species available in western Lake Ontario!!!! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
07-25-2012, 08:42 AM
(07-24-2012 10:32 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  Bass are not native to any Ontario inland lake - only the Great Lakes and St Lawrence systems originally had the species., yet walleye were native in many inland lakes.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/...095205.pdf

No doubt - the decline of the walleye is due to competition from competing species, overfishing (both sport and commercial), and loss of suitable habitat and spawning areas (i.e pollution, silt, construction).

When I was in Algonquin this past weekend, I read about the introduction of smallmouth bass to the area. When the ministry introduced smallmouth bass, they didn't realize that they would out-compete the native brookies.

And now the smallies are all over the park!

Who knows what the walleye will do Tongue. If we have any luck, they'll start learning how to crawl onto shore to eat Canada Goose eggs Wink

[Image: logobgs.png]