You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

06-27-2012, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2012 06:05 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
RE: Heat Wave
(06-22-2012 11:36 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Different fish has different metabolism...

Trout and salmon prefer colder water.

Bass and pike prefer cool water.

Carp and bowfin prefer warmer water.

Sunfish don't care either way. Big Grin

(06-24-2012 07:27 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  Don’t forget that the oxygen content of water is inversely proportional to the water’s temperature.

This fact is one variable that drives a fish’s “comfort zone” as well as its corresponding level of activity.

In a lake, fish can go deeper to find a comfortable temperature with suitable oxygen levels. Their finned prey will do likewise which further prompts the move.

In a river, fish do not have this option, so they will adjust their activity to the times, and the feeding opportunities that take the least amount of effort.

Well put, key information guys.

I'll be going to another friend's cottage later in the summer. He's on a big, deep lake. I want to try for lakers (haven't caught one yet).

Any chance I can catch them vertically jigging from a boat? Or is trolling a key ingredient in finding the fish.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2012, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 07:19 AM by OldTimer.)
RE: Heat Wave
Vertical jigging for lake trout can be a very fustrating exercise in summer. Particularly if the depths exceed more than 40 or 50 feet. This in combination with the inabilty of most captains to fix the position of the boat on the surface makes things even worse.

Trolling with the use of downriggers or long lining with metal line (monel or lead core) is an approach that may be a bit more productive. But still not a sure thing in our near north. A good sonar fish finder is also key to success.

Inland Ontario Laker's are more easily caught in the early spring - in the short period after "ice out" just trolling swimming baits on a long line troll in the upper 20 feet of the lake.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply