You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

08-21-2016, 06:09 PM
Hello!
Hi everyone,
Nice to see a site centered around shore fishing!
I have fished some in my youth though I have just gotten back into it recently. Located in Toronto I mainly fish the shore of Lake Ontario, Humber Bay Park, Old Mill, C.S.S, and also head up north to Sudbury few times a year to catch some easy small mouth and pike.
I mainly fish barb-less as I like the ease of hook removal. Seems to be better for me and the fish. (catch & release)

I guess the one thing that turns me off of the sport is how vague the regs. are on various water-bodies, basically where you can and cant fish.

For example; Colonel Sam Smith park at the south end of Kipling ave. I have read on external sites you cannot fish within the marina/ bay as they are "protected waters"(?) Huh yet on information posted by Toronto, fish ON-line or regs./ zone 16 dosnt have any information on this just claims the bay attracts fish x,y, and z.

Or Mimico Creek, north of Burnhamthorpe rd, close to home I have seen what looks like small creek chub that look like it might be fun to try and catch Tongue Yet no information on any known resources.

Hard to do things right when it seems to be all word of mouth. Undecided

Never the less im super addicted to fishing an im open to sharing what little I know and hope to learn while im here aswel Smile
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2016, 11:22 PM
RE: Hello!
Hi Kosinator,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble interpreting the regs. I find it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but maybe that can take a while.

Lake Ontario waters including those along the Sam Smith shoreline are zone 20, not 16. There are no special fishing regulations that apply to Sam Smith, it's not a fish sanctuary or anything; of course municipal and private landowners can make what rules they want about permitted activities on their land. However I'm pretty sure there's no rule against shore fishing at Sam Smith. What external websites are you referring to, maybe you can link them?

Mimico Creek is in zone 16, and since it's not named in the exceptions, regular zone 16 regulations apply. Creek chub are open all year round with no limit, and are easy to catch. Try a small spinner tipped with some worm... or pretty much any other setup, they're really not picky.

The regs are actually pretty specific about waters that are closed to fishing, though again, non-provincial landowners such as municipalities, conservation authorities and private citizens can choose whether to let you fish on their land, and that's separate from the regulations.
08-26-2016, 12:08 AM
RE: Hello!
(08-25-2016 11:22 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Hi Kosinator,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble interpreting the regs. I find it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but maybe that can take a while.

Lake Ontario waters including those along the Sam Smith shoreline are zone 20, not 16. There are no special fishing regulations that apply to Sam Smith, it's not a fish sanctuary or anything; of course municipal and private landowners can make what rules they want about permitted activities on their land. However I'm pretty sure there's no rule against shore fishing at Sam Smith. What external websites are you referring to, maybe you can link them?

Mimico Creek is in zone 16, and since it's not named in the exceptions, regular zone 16 regulations apply. Creek chub are open all year round with no limit, and are easy to catch. Try a small spinner tipped with some worm... or pretty much any other setup, they're really not picky.

The regs are actually pretty specific about waters that are closed to fishing, though again, non-provincial landowners such as municipalities, conservation authorities and private citizens can choose whether to let you fish on their land, and that's separate from the regulations.

Thanks, I understand the regs. Just sometimes it isn't mentioned (more upnorth more than in the city) just a lot of waterways. I guess I over think it, know a few people that got hit hard with fines - though the consciously knew the things they were doing.

Heading out to Georgian bay tomorrow Wink wish me luck!