You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

07-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Hi!
I'm 83, live on the Beaver River in Thornbury & am an absolute novice. I have a spin casting rod & reel, a bunch of lures, hooks, leaders, weights, bobbers, etc. & no idea about how to use them effectively or even what fish I might find in the river. Any advice, help or directions to which Forums etc. will get me on the right path are very, very welcome.

Thanks. Bill
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2016, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2016 08:10 AM by ray6591.)
RE: Hi!
Hi Welcome to the forum. Am sure you will figure this out very quickly with the help from reading and asking your questions on this forum.

Here is a free offer from the ministry if you are close to any of these parks: Learn to fish - https://www.ontario.ca/page/learn-fish

Youtube is another place to see how to vidoes from how to tie a rig etc.,

Wiki how to - is another great read. http://www.wikihow.com/Fish

Most importantly start fishing you will figure things at the place where you are fishing as most fisherman/fisherwoman you come across will be more than happy to help you..

Good luck.
07-24-2016, 11:31 AM
(07-24-2016 08:09 AM)ray6591 Wrote:  Hi Welcome to the forum. Am sure you will figure this out very quickly with the help from reading and asking your questions on this forum.

Here is a free offer from the ministry if you are close to any of these parks: Learn to fish - https://www.ontario.ca/page/learn-fish

Youtube is another place to see how to vidoes from how to tie a rig etc.,

Wiki how to - is another great read. http://www.wikihow.com/Fish

Most importantly start fishing you will figure things at the place where you are fishing as most fisherman/fisherwoman you come across will be more than happy to help you..

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your encouraging words!

I intend to follow your recommendations to the letter.

Thanks again. Bill
08-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Hi manolo22, welcome aboard.

That last stretch of the Beaver River in Thornbury from the dam to the lake is a very popular spot to fish steelhead and salmon on their spring and fall spawning runs. Salmonid migrations are tempting for the beginner because of the sheer numbers of big, charismatic, and easily-locatable fish they offer, but I'd caution that it's harder than it looks, because steelhead/salmon often aren't interested in eating while they're spawning and therefore don't bite. A lot of those who do fish them use fly gear; the best bet on spinning gear might be a roe bag under a float. Worms are also used as is hardware like small spinners.

Travel south/uphill into the forested headwater areas of the Beaver and its tributaries to start searching out little hidden treasure troves of brook trout, and in some places, resident rainbow and brown trout. Same goes for headwater streams in other nearby watersheds. A piece of worm under a split shot and slip bobber is my current favourite setup for this type of fishing but I've used small spinners tipped with worm as well, with some success.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what swims in the middle section of the Beaver, in the lowland areas upstream of Thornbury.

I'm of the impression that the Saugeen river system supports a broader mix of game fishes and especially warmer-water species, like pike and bass. The Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority provides some good info here: http://www.svca.on.ca/page.php?page=fishing Various lakes and ponds within the Beaver watershed also hold bass, and panfish, though the challenge there is finding a good spot to shore fish. Causeways, road berms and public docks can make good spots. Also don't discount the many piers, harbour walls, etc on Georgian Bay itself.

Make sure you understand the regulations, as there are a lot of locally specific ones in your area. Rivers throughout Bruce and Grey Counties are closed to all fishing outside of the April-September trout/salmon season, except for sections listed as having extended trout/salmon seasons. The rule does not apply to lakes. There are also a few local river systems that remain closed to fishing until the end of May, such as the Pretty River, Indian Brook and parts of Mill Creek.

You might also join the Grey Bruce Outdoors forum, for more local expertise: http://www.greybruceoutdoors.com/forum.php
08-02-2016, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 09:10 AM by manolo22.)
(08-02-2016 08:52 AM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Hi manolo22, welcome aboard.

That last stretch of the Beaver River in Thornbury from the dam to the lake is a very popular spot to fish steelhead and salmon on their spring and fall spawning runs. Salmonid migrations are tempting for the beginner because of the sheer numbers of big, charismatic, and easily-locatable fish they offer, but I'd caution that it's harder than it looks, because steelhead/salmon often aren't interested in eating while they're spawning and therefore don't bite. A lot of those who do fish them use fly gear; the best bet on spinning gear might be a roe bag under a float. Worms are also used as is hardware like small spinners.

Travel south/uphill into the forested headwater areas of the Beaver and its tributaries to start searching out little hidden treasure troves of brook trout, and in some places, resident rainbow and brown trout. Same goes for headwater streams in other nearby watersheds. A piece of worm under a split shot and slip bobber is my current favourite setup for this type of fishing but I've used small spinners tipped with worm as well, with some success.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what swims in the middle section of the Beaver, in the lowland areas upstream of Thornbury.

I'm of the impression that the Saugeen river system supports a broader mix of game fishes and especially warmer-water species, like pike and bass. The Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority provides some good info here: http://www.svca.on.ca/page.php?page=fishing Various lakes and ponds within the Beaver watershed also hold bass, and panfish, though the challenge there is finding a good spot to shore fish. Causeways, road berms and public docks can make good spots. Also don't discount the many piers, harbour walls, etc on Georgian Bay itself.

Make sure you understand the regulations, as there are a lot of locally specific ones in your area. Rivers throughout Bruce and Grey Counties are closed to all fishing outside of the April-September trout/salmon season, except for sections listed as having extended trout/salmon seasons. The rule does not apply to lakes. There are also a few local river systems that remain closed to fishing until the end of May, such as the Pretty River, Indian Brook and parts of Mill Creek.

You might also join the Grey Bruce Outdoors forum, for more local expertise: http://www.greybruceoutdoors.com/forum.php

(08-02-2016 09:03 AM)manolo22 Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:52 AM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Hi manolo22, welcome aboard.

What a fantastic email.....thank you very much!

You've given me a great deal of very useful information which I will try to put to good use.

I find it hard to approach other people when they are fishing to ask for advice, etc. so this help you've given me is even more valuable.

Thank you very much....I'm very appreciative of your help!

Bill