You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hi Everyone!
08-24-2016, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 11:35 PM by ShoreQueenOfTheNorth.)
Hi Everyone!
Hi There,
I've pretty much been fishing since I could hold a fishing rod, I grew up very spoiled fishing in North Western Ontario. I moved down to the GTA for college a long time ago and never left. I have had a hard time adapting my passion for fishing to this locale.

I travel out of the GTA regularly to see my sweetheart in Stratford and our weekend spot is near Grand Bend. I'm looking to find the local fishing holes and learn the ropes down here. I've never fly-fished but I've done plenty of wading and regular 'ol overhand casting off the shores up around home (I can pitch it out pretty far). I grew up trolling, jigging, bobber fishing, dock fishing, ice fishing etc. Our main targets are lake trout, little brown spotted trout and walleye (I hear you call them pickerel around here though Shy )

We're headed to Bayfield this weekend to pitch our lines in and see what bites. My first question... I'm used to live bait... what bait is used around here and where do I get my hands on some? I've heard worms are commonly used? I'm used to minnows or leeches.

I can use all the hints I can get. The boyfriend just got hooked on fishing when I brought him up North in July and I want to make sure he has fun.... and to feed that addiction!

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2016, 06:39 AM
RE: Hi Everyone!
Hey ShoreQueen,

Welcome to OSF.

All forms of live bait are used down this way, but worms and minnows would represent the majority. This due to the fact that leeches etc are not stocked many places.

A net search should offer up places that sell bait in Southern Ontario. And - should you be a bit more specific of what general area you hail from - I'm sure some of the other members may offer suggestions.

There are a few more species available here (compared to da nord)- carp, channel cats, rainbow, and pacific salmon - all capable of reaching good size, and fun to target.

Look around here - and specifically peek at some of the "articles" they may help you.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
ShoreQueenOfTheNorth (09-06-2016)