You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hi, I'm new here
03-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi, I'm new here
Hi, I'm Lee, another angler from Markham. I've been fishing for three years. I've taken a several trips to lake Scugog and Rice Lake and rented a boat with family and friends. I've also fished some of the local ponds in Markham. I practice catch and release. Everything I know about fishing, I learnt from Googling, so I'm not too skillful!

I joined this forum so hopefully I can find some good shore fishing spots within an hour's drive of my home. Even though I've been on several boat fishing trips, I wasn't very successful in catching many fish, so may give that up since it's pretty depressing driving all that way, spending money renting a boat an still not catching a lot of fish.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
RE: Hi, I'm new here
Welcome aboard, allot of knowledgeable minds here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Welcome Lee,

I'm a Markham angler too. Which ponds have you tried. About 90% of my fishing is done at these Markham ponds. There's a lot of knowledgeable minds on the forum so you'll definitely get some new info.

Welcome,
Giuga10
03-03-2013, 08:20 PM
(03-03-2013 03:02 PM)angler1 Wrote:  driving all that way, spending money renting a boat an still not catching a lot of fish.

Hi Lee
That's all part of fishing. No one can make the fish bite, except me.......lol....haha. Take pleasure in the outdoors away from the city and being on a boat, the fish are the bonus.

Welcome to the forum.
03-03-2013, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 11:13 PM by angler1.)
I have fished:

1. Toogood Pond
Several times and caught nothing.

2. Milne Dam
Several times and caught nothing. Want my $5 back.

Will never go back to Toogood or Milne Dam, even though some people say that they have caught fish there. I swear to God that there are no fish there. It's just an urban myth that they exist there, or they smelled me coming.

3. Swan Lake. Caught a ton of sunfish and small perch off the dock, two years ago. Last year, didn't even get a bite off the dock but caught several bullheads off the bridge on the north side.

4. Mount Joy Pond. Caught a few sunfish and crappie, and one tiny LM bass, about 10 cm long (I want to catch his mom).

Not a lot of action here in Markham.
03-03-2013, 11:30 PM
(03-03-2013 11:09 PM)angler1 Wrote:  I have fished:

1. Toogood Pond
Several times and caught nothing.

2. Milne Dam
Several times and caught nothing. Want my $5 back.

Will never go back to Toogood or Milne Dam, even though some people say that they have caught fish there. I swear to God that there are no fish there. It's just an urban myth that they exist there, or they smelled me coming.

3. Swan Lake. Caught a ton of sunfish and small perch off the dock, two years ago. Last year, didn't even get a bite off the dock but caught several bullheads off the bridge on the north side.

4. Mount Joy Pond. Caught a few sunfish and crappie, and one tiny LM bass, about 10 cm long (I want to catch his mom).

Not a lot of action here in Markham.

For toogood pond I agree with you totally. Fish in there are just an urban myth Tongue.

For Milne a simple worm or couple of corn niblets sitting on the bottom will produce tins of bullheads and possibly Carp.

You caught Perch in Swan Lake?? WOW I'm gonna be targeting those guys this summer. I know another member caught a Crappie there ice fishing this season.

Mount Joy has a nice amount of Crappie and Sunfish. Bullheads are insanely populated there, you've also got a good chance of getting a carp there. For bass they are quite rare but still catchable.
03-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Welcome!

It's kind of funny we take goggling for granted now. I have not been fishing actively for that long but the number of resources available is amazing. Careful and thorough searches can help you identify species, their location in your area, and determine techniques to catch them. Not to long ago you were limited to what your friends new or that rumors circulating around the bait shop. These are still invaluable but access to additional online information can sometime separate myths from facts. I have been busy researching my lifelist goals for the year and identifying local spots.

As always the trick is to turn theory into practice Smile
03-04-2013, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 11:17 AM by onwind.)
for toogood pond, I caught chubs there, and I saw people catching big carps.
Milne dam, I didn't have any luck either, but I heard there are ways to avoid 5 dollars fee?
swan lake, it's allowed to fish or not?
Mount Joy, I saw there are carps and crappies.

have you ever tried mill pond, there are sunfishes, perches , carps and basses.
03-04-2013, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 01:19 PM by angler1.)
I caught the perch during the summer of 2011 - that was a good year at Swan Lake. Last year sucked! The 'No Fishing' signs appeared around march 2012. When I saw them I was very upset so I called the Town of Markham to complain. Then I called the MNR and complained to them. After several months, I was informed that they would change the signage to allow catch and release, which they did but only for one of the signs, on the north side. The sign on the dock still says no fishing. Since I know that it's their inention to allow catch and release fishing, there, and that they just haven't gotten around to changing all the signs, I continued to fish there.

I went to Milne Dam on the weekend and wanted to drive my car in and was charged $5 at the entrance. I know there's another entrance near the dam. I went there too, and caught nothing there.

I haven't tried mill pond. Is that the one in Richmond Hill? If they have bass there, I'll give it a try.
03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
yes, It's the mill pond in Richmond hill. the bass can be found in the inside smaller pond.
(03-04-2013 01:11 PM)angler1 Wrote:  I caught the perch during the summer of 2011 - that was a good year at Swan Lake. Last year sucked! The 'No Fishing' signs appeared around march 2012. When I saw them I was very upset so I called the Town of Markham to complain. Then I called the MNR and complained to them. After several months, I was informed that they would change the signage to allow catch and release, which they did but only for one of the signs, on the north side. The sign on the dock still says no fishing. Since I know that it's their inention to allow catch and release fishing, there, and that they just haven't gotten around to changing all the signs, I continued to fish there.

I went to Milne Dam on the weekend and wanted to drive my car in and was charged $5 at the entrance. I know there's another entrance near the dam. I went there too, and caught nothing there.

I haven't tried mill pond. Is that the one in Richmond Hill? If they have bass there, I'll give it a try.