You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hooks: The Right Hook for the Job
08-30-2012, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 09:59 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Hooks: The Right Hook for the Job
On bait fishing hook sizes:

There’s lots of different styles, sizes and colours of hooks out there…. Confusing isn’t it?

Hook sizes run in increasing size from 32…to…….1 (which is in the middle) and then from 1/0 to the largest (which is presently a 27/0 white shark hook from Mustad that weighs in at close to 20 pounds).

We’ve all caught wee fish on wow size hooks (and vice versa)………. but really - you should select your hook size based on the overall size of the target species, and its mouth size, in combination with consideration of what the bait will be and its size.

Keep in mind – controlled hard data studies conclude that smaller hooks catch more fish, while bigger hooks catch bigger fish. (By “catch” I mean in the net).

Plain, red, blue, silver, gold, etc…………but in freshwater fishing I’ve found that either the standard bronze finish, and occasionally the gold is sufficient variety.

A note on manufacturers – buy hooks from makers whose names you recognize. Hooks are the most important piece of hardware in your setup – don’t cheap out here. Top names include Mustad, Owner, Eagle Claw, Gamakatsu, and Tiemco.

There are many hundreds of styles of hooks. Any every manufacturer has variant slants on those. I’ll describe those styles I’ve found valuable and those which I’ve used most often along the way.

Aberdeen – Used mostly for minnows, but good for worms & crayfish. They have a long shank, wide gap, and thin wire. The longer shank eases hook removal by having something to get a hold of with your pliers, or fingers. Great for kids and/or panfish outings. The thinner wire reduces injury to live bait extending liveliness. I like them in both regular and in gold finishes to add some flash. Related styles include Carlisle (narrower gap), and J hooks (heavy wire).

Baitholder – Probably the most widely used bait hook in this country. Two to three extra barbs along the shank help hold bait on better. Best with worms and leeches – but can be used anywhere.

Octopus – Older design (predecessor to the baitholder) – Great all round hook - shorter, yet wide gap with medium diameter wire. I prefer these to the Aberdeen for walleye, ice fishing, and very good for smelling, or dropper rigs.

Kahle – Wide gap, and a twisting offset hook point angle. Plus the point is in line with eye, which increases hook efficiency. Hooking will be much deeper – therefore not recommended for strict catch and release outings. I also use these for soft lipped fresh water fish such as crappie, whitefish or lake herring. I buy most of mine in gold finish. This is THE hook for pompano in the salt.

Circle – Hook design and geometry increases chances of lip hooking on slow hook sets. I’ve found them great for cut-baiting channel cats, and fantastic in the salt. But honestly - I haven’t found they make a big difference increasing lip hooking percentage when used in the smaller sizes over other styles.

Egg Hook – This is really just a shorter shank Octopus. They are designed for single salmon eggs in the smaller sizes. Good for roe bags, or clusters in the larger sizes as well. Not recommended for other baits. I get mine in gold plated so I can easily pick them out of a bunch of mixed hook types in the tube I use to carry hooks, plus it adds a bit of sparkle.

Here’s my cut at a loose guideline on hook sizing to species. Adjust as you see fit.

Hope that helps……….

To end off……….Here’s a fun link:

http://www.mustad.no/www2010/in-action/f...reat-white

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
beaser (08-31-2012)