You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

John Kimble is here!
03-12-2012, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 05:48 PM by John Kimble.)
John Kimble is here!
Hi y'all!

Have you seen the youtube video "How to Clean a Perch in 10 Seconds"???

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

That's my video - almost 1 million views!

I'm a former Marine Biologist. You can usually find me on Simcoe and the surrounding lakes. Looking forward to fish'n with ya!

[Image: ATLANTIC%2520COD%2520CROP.JPG]

Cheers,
~J.Kimble
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 05:44 PM
RE: John Kimble is here!
(03-12-2012 05:41 PM)John Kimble Wrote:  Hi y'all!

Have you seen the youtube video "How to Clean a Perch in 10 Seconds"???

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

That's my video - almost 1 million views!

I'm a former Marine Biologist. You can usually find me on Simcoe and the surrounding lakes. Looking forward to fish'n with ya!

Cheers,
~J.Kimble

Welcome aboard!!! I'm sure you'll get some interesting question
03-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Welcome - with your background I'm sure you'll have great answers too.

Cheers,

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Awesome. What educational path did you take to become a marine biologist?
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2012 12:35 PM by John Kimble.)
I graduated from the University of Guelph with a Marine and Freshwater Biology degree. The first two years were all general science courses like biology, chemistry, zoology, etc. It wasn't until 3rd and 4th year that things got much more interesting with aquatic fish courses, biology of polluted waters etc. I also was able to go on a Tropical Fish and Coral Field Course to Belize and a Oceanography Field course to New Brunswick. I highly recommend it!

Follow your passion! =)

~J.Kimble
(03-13-2012 12:15 PM)bettercallsaul Wrote:  Awesome. What educational path did you take to become a marine biologist?

Plus get all the experience you can - I've done aquatic research labs, electro fishing, MNR contracts, conservation area contracts, and the National Marine Fisheries Service in the States. =)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to John Kimble for this post:
bettercallsaul (03-13-2012)
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Hey John,

Have you found that your formal education has made you a better "rod & reel" fisherman here? If so what information has been the most valuable?

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
03-13-2012, 04:29 PM
(03-13-2012 12:32 PM)John Kimble Wrote:  I graduated from the University of Guelph with a Marine and Freshwater Biology degree. The first two years were all general science courses like biology, chemistry, zoology, etc. It wasn't until 3rd and 4th year that things got much more interesting with aquatic fish courses, biology of polluted waters etc. I also was able to go on a Tropical Fish and Coral Field Course to Belize and a Oceanography Field course to New Brunswick. I highly recommend it!

Follow your passion! =)

~J.Kimble
(03-13-2012 12:15 PM)bettercallsaul Wrote:  Awesome. What educational path did you take to become a marine biologist?

Plus get all the experience you can - I've done aquatic research labs, electro fishing, MNR contracts, conservation area contracts, and the National Marine Fisheries Service in the States. =)

Thanks for the info! I'm a UofT student and there really aren't many marine biology courses except maybe freshwater ecology, fish species of ontario, and some field opportunities (as far as Puerto Rico!), but I'm not really sure what field I'd want to get into (if fish genetics exist, that would be awesome),
03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the site.
03-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Aboslutely! You can never go wrong with more education. Knowing a bit of theory and background knowledge on the resource has given me a better understanding and appreciation. It's no longer "just a fish", but knowing the background and the ecological connections of the fish is facinating to me.

Furthermore, SCUBA DIVING and snorkeling also opens your eyes to a whole new world. I highly recommend it!

(03-13-2012 02:07 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Hey John,

Have you found that your formal education has made you a better "rod & reel" fisherman here? If so what information has been the most valuable?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to John Kimble for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-14-2012)
03-14-2012, 01:20 AM
(03-13-2012 11:54 PM)John Kimble Wrote:  Furthermore, SCUBA DIVING and snorkeling also opens your eyes to a whole new world. I highly recommend it!

As a fish enthusiast myself, it was natural for me to get my PADI licence 2 years ago. All I can say is Wow! I think fish are usually programmed to dart away from threats from above. A big clunky scuba diver at their level can sometimes be a subject of investigation for the random bass.

That's what I experienced at least. =P

[Image: logobgs.png]