You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

04-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Ketchup
After all the broo-ha-ha and ink in the newspapers over “Canadian“ ketchup a month ago ( the skirmish was regarding Heinz (a US product) versus French’s (canadian tomato paste is used) being served to our elected officials )……… I decided to review what condiments our household uses for our burgers ,dogs and fries.

Much to my surprise much of what my household might use was USA, or off shore produced.

Furthermore I was shocked to find that most Heinz, Bicks, and Kraft condiment products are not “Canadian” at all.

Well……………. No more…… I’ve done some research……….

Here’s my new household condiment list going forward for dogs, burgs and fries:

Ketchup – French’s made from Canadian tomato paste (or if you can find it E.D. Smith, it seems it’s currently only sold wholesale to restaurants)

Mustard – French’s

Dill pickles – Strub’s………….. or if you can find them and afford them - Marty Strub’s ($12 a 2L bottle)

Sweet Green Relish – Coronation

Salt – either Sifto or Windsor

Vinegar: Allen’s

Cheese slices (for cheeseburgers): Black Diamond

…………. We really need better legislated and strictly enforced product labelling rules – to highlight where food sold in Canada is actually grown or processed. A lot doesn’t even say where the product was actually made………. Just “made for…………….”

Got any additions to this list?

Buy Canadian!

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2016, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2016 06:14 PM by zippyFX.)
RE: Ketchup
In the end I am torn on this subject in general. I have a background in economics so I understand how things tend to work. Some loose thoughts.

Competitive pressure tends to drive sourcing decisions. Many time sourcing locally is counter competitive but the producer at a disadvantage. The CEO of the company is legally required to maximize the profits of a company doing otherwise may get them fired and or sued. Many have no choice but to seek out the lowest price source. Even California oranges do not have to come from California (they just need to meet or exceed the California standard).

I think favoring nationally source products is a canard because in the end money talks and expensive condiments walk. My father who worked in industrial manufacturing said times had changed when 8 of 10 cars on my street were Japanese and ended up buying a Honda when he retired (his first non north american car).

I have some relative in distribution and it is laughably silly to get over Canadian (and American) sourcing requirements. All you need is a local middle man that jacks up the price 10% and the product effectively has enough Canadian content to be labeled Canadian sourced. We consumers end up paying 10% more for the Canadian maple leaf that hangs off the product. In a global economy I think patriotism in terms of favoring commercial goods in a novelty and a distraction.

Even kraft has merged with heinz not sure on the business structure but they are likley effectively incorporated in Delaware (corporate tax dodge state).

Former Prime Minster Martin was raked over the coals because the shipping fleet for his company had mostly Panamanian registry. Truth is Canada does not want to be a commercial ship registrar and hence prices it's registry prohibitively. 80% of the worlds fleets are registered with registries of convience (even the Onassis family of Greece registers is fleets in south america) to not do so puts companies and jobs at risk.

For better or worse we live in a lowest common denominator economy. These local initiatives unfortunately don't usually amount to a hill of beans (or squirt of ketchup) in the medium to long term.

Don't get me wrong, I do not necessarily disagree with the practice it's just that I have not seen any credible evidence that it can or will change.

I believe people should spend their money in away that maximizes there interests.

I don't believe in screwing workers... I believe that there is a reason for unions to exist....

The global economy is a bizarre beast.
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
4got10 (07-04-2016)
04-03-2016, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 07:27 AM by OldTimer.)
(04-02-2016 06:10 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  In the end I am torn on this subject in general. I have a background in economics so I understand how things tend to work. Some loose thoughts.

Competitive pressure tends to drive sourcing decisions. Many time sourcing locally is counter competitive but the producer at a disadvantage. The CEO of the company is legally required to maximize the profits of a company doing otherwise may get them fired and or sued. Many have no choice but to seek out the lowest price source. Even California oranges do not have to come from California (they just need to meet or exceed the California standard).

I think favoring nationally source products is a canard because in the end money talks and expensive condiments walk. My father who worked in industrial manufacturing said times had changed when 8 of 10 cars on my street were Japanese and ended up buying a Honda when he retired (his first non north american car).

I have some relative in distribution and it is laughably silly to get over Canadian (and American) sourcing requirements. All you need is a local middle man that jacks up the price 10% and the product effectively has enough Canadian content to be labeled Canadian sourced. We consumers end up paying 10% more for the Canadian maple leaf that hangs off the product. In a global economy I think patriotism in terms of favoring commercial goods in a novelty and a distraction.

Even kraft has merged with heinz not sure on the business structure but they are likley effectively incorporated in Delaware (corporate tax dodge state).

Former Prime Minster Martin was raked over the coals because the shipping fleet for his company had mostly Panamanian registry. Truth is Canada does not want to be a commercial ship registrar and hence prices it's registry prohibitively. 80% of the worlds fleets are registered with registries of convience (even the Onassis family of Greece registers is fleets in south america) to not do so puts companies and jobs at risk.

For better or worse we live in a lowest common denominator economy. These local initiatives unfortunately don't usually amount to a hill of beans (or squirt of ketchup) in the medium to long term.

Don't get me wrong, I do not necessarily disagree with the practice it's just that I have not seen any credible evidence that it can or will change.

I believe people should spend their money in away that maximizes there interests.

I don't believe in screwing workers... I believe that there is a reason for unions to exist....

The global economy is a bizarre beast.

Yes - opinions vary.

I do understand quite well how things work, and how "manufactured" things may be declared Canadian.

However my post concerned the geographical source of the primary food item inside the jars or packaging.

Buy Canadian.......... then perhaps one might be part of the solution.

I didn't even get into mentioning the nationality of the burgers, hot dogs, and potatoes............. grin.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
04-12-2016, 02:50 PM
I agree that all Canadians should support Canadian source products..............and patriotism (which should not be considered a novelty)

If we all supported our Canadian products it would amount to much more than "a hill of beans" , perhaps millions $$$$$.
04-12-2016, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 07:26 PM by zippyFX.)
(04-12-2016 02:50 PM)GailBait Wrote:  I agree that all Canadians should support Canadian source products..............and patriotism (which should not be considered a novelty)

If we all supported our Canadian products it would amount to much more than "a hill of beans" , perhaps millions $$$$$.

It's a catch 22, if it costs more you to buy the ketchup (or what ever product) you loose disposable income. You end up supporting inefficiencies with your money. Some copporation waves a flag and gets a short lived bump in sales. People generally move back to a lower priced good if the utility is not there.

I buy lots locally, like produce from local farms or tackle from local bait shops; but I am not a big fan comercially based patriotism I think it is insincere on the part of the companies.

Don't get me started on the NHL. I get into so many arguments pointing out that it is a commercial business that has been tailored for TV revenue. Though some people think it is a national institution. Hockey is great but the NHL is a business.
04-13-2016, 09:46 AM
A bit tangential but I just saw this on the Food Industrial Complex:

http://priceonomics.com/the-food-industr...=longreads

Pizza is a vegetable, hurrah!
04-13-2016, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2016 04:21 PM by OldTimer.)
(04-12-2016 07:25 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 02:50 PM)GailBait Wrote:  I agree that all Canadians should support Canadian source products..............and patriotism (which should not be considered a novelty)

It's a catch 22, if it costs more you to buy the ketchup (or what ever product) you loose disposable income. You end up supporting inefficiencies with your money. Some copporation waves a flag and gets a short lived bump in sales. People generally move back to a lower priced good if the utility is not there.

I buy lots locally, like produce from local farms or tackle from local bait shops; but I am not a big fan comercially based patriotism I think it is insincere on the part of the companies.

Don't get me started on the NHL. I get into so many arguments pointing out that it is a commercial business that has been tailored for TV revenue. Though some people think it is a national institution. Hockey is great but the NHL is a business.

Boy...... I didn't see that coming..........

And yes - Canadian pizza is one of most angler's major food groups along with - Canadian local ingredient beers...... and 100% Canadian potato made Lay's chips.

..........smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
04-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Smile I am one of those free association types Smile