You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

02-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Knots
Don't mind my out of the blue forum threads, I just would like to see this forum grow and participation is the only way that will happen.

Anyways,

What is everyone's favorite knot for fishing?

Myself, I use the Palomar knot on pretty much anything I can and ever since I started using it a few years ago, I have yet to lose a lure..(knock on wood)

I have had a great "Knot" website book marked for a long time on my laptop, which is very useful for all kinds of knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com

I suggest using some rope or shoe laces to practice the knots, because I find when I use fishing line, it can drive you crazy. lol
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 01:20 PM
RE: Knots
Yeah the Polarmar knot is amazing. I'm still using the improved clinch knot myself, it's done job since my first days of fishing. The Polarmar looks faster/simpler to tie though. Maybe now's the time to switch! I might be able to get away from the laziness of snap-swivels =P

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 04:43 PM
(02-11-2012 01:20 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Yeah the Polarmar knot is amazing. I'm still using the improved clinch knot myself, it's done job since my first days of fishing. The Polarmar looks faster/simpler to tie though. Maybe now's the time to switch! I might be able to get away from the laziness of snap-swivels =P

I was messing around with the improved clinch knot today and it's going to take more practice Big Grin However, it is a great knot also, just takes a bit longer.
02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Ah the strength of habit, I was out today (going to post report soon) and swore I'd try the polarmar... alas muscle memory and comfort brought me back the the clinch lol. Amazing old habits die hard.

02-28-2012, 07:33 PM
If you use the improved clinch knot, I'd strongly recommend learning the reverse improved clinch knot. It's tested much higher in strength as apposed to the clinch and the improved clinch knot.

I like the palomar for terminal tackle and jigs, and have recently switched to a double palomar where I'd normally use the palomar.

If you like the palomar, I'd also learn the Berkley braid knot, especially for crank baits. Unless you wanna pull your hair out trying to tie palomars to cranks all day, lol. The Berkley braid knot is super easy and is crazy strong on mono, braid or fluorocarbon.

Uni to uni for joining line for me, but I rarely do that.

Anything that calls for a snell, I'm not sure what it's called? But I pass the line through the top of the hook, keep about 2" of tag end. Wrap the mainline around the hook 5-7 times(depending on the line being used), then pass the mainline back through the bottom of the hook and sinch tight. Then I either use a dab of crazy glue to prevent it from backing off, or I tie a simple overhand knot to the hook eye after the snell is complete. This works well for preventing a backup of the snell.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (02-28-2012)
02-28-2012, 09:48 PM
LOL last sunday I was trying to wrap my palomar around my crankbait... gave up and went to improved clinch.

Seems like the Berkley braid is just like the improved clinch, but with double the line?

http://www.bigchipnet.com/bcnv2/beginner...&cat=knots

02-28-2012, 09:49 PM
(02-28-2012 07:33 PM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  Anything that calls for a snell, I'm not sure what it's called? But I pass the line through the top of the hook, keep about 2" of tag end. Wrap the mainline around the hook 5-7 times(depending on the line being used), then pass the mainline back through the bottom of the hook and sinch tight. Then I either use a dab of crazy glue to prevent it from backing off, or I tie a simple overhand knot to the hook eye after the snell is complete. This works well for preventing a backup of the snell.

What do you mean by snell? What would you use this for?

Always wondered what people meant by "snelled hooks"

beginner question but gotta find out!

02-28-2012, 11:17 PM
A snelled hook is like what you'll find on crawler harnesses and Lindy rigs etc.

It has the line wrapped around the shank of the hook numerous times while being tied. Just search snelling a hook on youtube, or look up knot wars on youtube to learn all sorts of knots.

When you snell a hook, it will keep the hook running straight, where other knots, like a palomar, will move around on the eye of a hook, or jig or whatever.

and yes, a Berkley braid knot is similar, but way stronger. Any time the line is doubled running through the hook eye, it's going to be alot stronger as apposed to a single through the eye.

For the Berkley, I only use 5 wraps, I find 8 to be annoying and unnecessary. I can straighten out a jig easily if I'm snagged before the knot or the line will give way.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-01-2012)
02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Does anyone else use Zap a Gap on securing pre made rigs that they are putting together?

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
(02-29-2012 08:39 AM)MikeH Wrote:  Does anyone else use Zap a Gap on securing pre made rigs that they are putting together?

Pre-made rigs you are putting together??? Huh?

lol, I've never heard of zap a gap? Is it like another type of glue?