You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking To Buy a New Reel
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
RE: Looking To Buy a New Reel
(04-18-2012 02:40 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  This is absolutely amazing advice, MuskyBait you make a great point. There's only so much inshore tackle needs to handle... offshore's a different story Tongue.

Because I like fighting fish I've seemed to have gravitated to light line to maximize the experience. I also would like to keep my gear light and compact. Would you guys know of a reel that does small/light matched with the big spool I'd need in case I hooked a 20lb runner? All the ultralight reels I find have tiny line capacities =(. Maybe I'm overestimating how much line I need...

All you guys that've seen me out on the water or read my reports know how classy my current set-up is Big Grin TongueTongue

edit: let's see if my preferences change once the heavy weeds grow in LOL

I would rethink that a little bit MA. Of course, it depends on the species your fishing, but, if you choose to use an ultralight setup to fish ie pike, there is real potential to damage the fish.

Before I would go lighter on the line, I'd be learning to use your drag system better, or purchase a reel with a good drag. That way you can play the fish if you so choose, but then adjust your drag on the fly to land the fish.

some fish are different then others though, you can play out a bass and it revives like nothing ever happened. A big pike or a muskie though and its the total opposite.

A good middle ground is 8lb mono
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (04-18-2012)