You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Love for floating cranks...
03-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Love for floating cranks...
Hey guys,

I noticed whenever I fish floating cranks, I never lose them and they run clean.

Now on the other hand, when I fish heavy spoons, heavy spinners I tend to snag them up like crazy (lost 2 today ). OR instead of snagging, by the time I have the lure back to shore, it's chocked with weeds.

Anybody else feel my pain? Any techniques I can use for fishing sinking lures?

By "heavy" I mean ~1oz 3/4 oz =P

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
RE: Love for floating cranks...
I have had the same issue and it get a little pricey to replace what I have lost. the only thing I can tell you is holding my rod tip up a little has helped alot!!

Rather be fish'n
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2012, 11:08 AM
This is where good equipment really helps MA.

If I'm fishing a spot that has weeds, whether above water or submerged, I'm gonna be using 15-20lb braid, on a rod around 6'6" to 7', with a good backbone, and not a ton of flex in the tip. A good med.heavy rod.

When the lure is near bottom in the weeds, you need a sharp "popping action" if you feel weeds grabbing your lure/bait. If your snagging way too much grass still, odds are your fishing too slow. A good popping jig will keep alot of that veg off your line.

Also, this is where the texas rigged plastics shine. They allow you to get right in there, in the thickest veg.

Remember, if your finding weeds, you should be fishing them. Odds are they are holding fish, so get right in there, right above them, or on any weedlines where pike/bass will be waiting to ambush.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-09-2012)
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
(03-09-2012 11:08 AM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  This is where good equipment really helps MA.

If I'm fishing a spot that has weeds, whether above water or submerged, I'm gonna be using 15-20lb braid, on a rod around 6'6" to 7', with a good backbone, and not a ton of flex in the tip. A good med.heavy rod.

When the lure is near bottom in the weeds, you need a sharp "popping action" if you feel weeds grabbing your lure/bait. If your snagging way too much grass still, odds are your fishing too slow. A good popping jig will keep alot of that veg off your line.

Also, this is where the texas rigged plastics shine. They allow you to get right in there, in the thickest veg.

Remember, if your finding weeds, you should be fishing them. Odds are they are holding fish, so get right in there, right above them, or on any weedlines where pike/bass will be waiting to ambush.

Thanks again manitou for the great advice! I need to drill this into my head =P.

I just went to 6lb mono to try to maximize my casting distance, but in the summer when the weed beds grow in I'll try out the braid. Right now the snags I'm dealing with aren't big weeds, because they haven't fully grown in I think.

I'll definitely start the rod pop/jigging when my lure's banging the bottom (to the best of my ability with a 6 foot rod and mono LOL).

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
If you don't get hung up with floating cracks than just simply use them instead. There are SO many different types of floating crancks for any situation. I personally make my own lures so if I need something I just make it. I also agree with mmanitou use heavier line.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Windsorfisherman for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-10-2012)
03-14-2012, 02:04 PM
I've experienced that. sometimes spoon or spinner are great lure to use, but when you know that there are lots of grass or weeds under the water, it really frustrates me. Top water is good, but sometime that top water pulls some junks....