You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking for confirmed steelhead reports for fall 2018
10-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Looking for confirmed steelhead reports for fall 2018
Hey!
I've been fishing for at least 25 years. I've caught a lot of fish throughout my time starting with little chub in a local creek using raw bacon on a hook. (no rod) currently i've been chasing brook and browns in the local rivers. The salmon runs have hit but i want to get some tip offs for steelhead runs! If anybody has confirmed reports for fall 2018 i would greatly appreciate it!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2018, 08:28 PM
RE: Looking for confirmed steelhead reports for fall 2018
I did land one two weeks ago at east side of GTA. It was female full of eggs for some reason. I mean 2 weeks to spawn full.
After that learned about occasional bow here and there. Ganaraska river cam shows some bows moving in as well. As far as i know there is no solid action yet.
10-23-2018, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the tip. I headed up to bighead river this past weekend and only found salmon. Might try again next month. Is the credit river worth trying? Any suggestions where i could start? I haven't tried the gta always went north
10-23-2018, 08:06 PM
I did not fish Credit it is to crowded for my taste. I live in Ajax and fish from Port Hope to Highland creek. Salmon is almost gone. All of the tributaries in my area have some steelhead. I bet the rest of GTA is about the same. If you are just starting on "migratory rainbow trout fishing" keep in mind the fish can be extremely picky. On average day I am trying many different fishing spots, baits, sizes, colors and sometimes still don't have a take. The bait producing at sunrise don't work later in the day and so on.
I would suggest checking the fishing regulations because some rivers are closed or only partially open for trout.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cutuzov for this post:
SC0TT (10-24-2018)
10-24-2018, 04:38 PM
the lack of action could be from the luner calendar. i found a couple really good explanations on youtube. it's new information to me and I've decided to follow it. if it's correct than this weekend should be a great weekend to day fish. we're heading back up to Meaford this Saturday to see if the drop in temperature has triggered some steelhead to begin their run.

i haven't fished the credit river before but i was just curious about it. i was working right beside it at the start of the week and saw a few salmon still running and wondered about some rainbows.
10-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Feel free to brag when you get the big one Wink
10-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Only pulled out one this weekend 16" long. Not much to brag about. I'll have to try again mid nov.