You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No fishing allowed at Mill Pond? (richmond hill)
09-03-2015, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 06:32 AM by Aquaneko.)
No fishing allowed at Mill Pond? (richmond hill)
I am confused here.

According to the final release copy of the Guide to Eating Ontario Fish 2015 guide ( source: https://dr6j45jk9xcmk.cloudfront.net/doc...-final.pdf ) it states Mill Pond with the monthly allowed fish one can harvest and thus able to fish at.

Yet when I spoke with Ratnak when I met him weeks ago at Too Good Pond he said you can not fish at Mill Pond which is news to me because AFAIK Mill Pond has always been an urban fishing spot. If you check Ratnak's website http://www.wheretofish.ca/blog/ (May/2015 about half way down ~40% down) he got a response of no fishing allowed. I am thinking maybe some employee perhaps did not want someone fishing there and thus replied back as such but I don't know.

Does anyone live close by that can get a visual on Mill Pond if there are any No Fishing signs posted? AFAIK if a body of water in Ontario has a 'No Tresspass/Private land' and/or 'No Fishing' sign then you can not fish there.

However as I understand reading some posts randomly online (various fishing forums) if the body of water is public but the land access is restricted one can still fish there provided they can find a way into the body of water via public land or via water way floating in. (Some people where talking about water plane or helicopter insert and extraction Big GrinTongue)
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 11:20 AM
RE: No fishing allowed at Mill Pond? (richmond hill)
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question because I'm not familiar with this pond. But I feel I should point out that you're completely misinterpreting the Guide to Eating Ontario Sport Fish when you say:
(09-03-2015 06:32 AM)Aquaneko Wrote:  According to the final release copy of the Guide to Eating Ontario Fish 2015 guide ( source: https://dr6j45jk9xcmk.cloudfront.net/doc...-final.pdf ) it states Mill Pond with the monthly allowed fish one can harvest and thus able to fish at.
The Guide has NOTHING to do with where you are or aren't allowed to fish. It is strictly a calculation of how much fish would be safe to eat based on contamination levels. It is not a monthly "allowed" harvest, it is a recommended consumption level, ONLY taking contaminants into account. The Guide includes advisories for lakes that are closed to fishing year-round. It includes advisories for fishes that cannot be harvested by law, such as lake sturgeon and undersized muskie. Why? I guess because in the course of their fisheries research on those lakes/species, the lab technicians end up with data on contaminant levels, so they include it in the guide. For what's allowed by regulation you need to consult the fishing regulations summary ( http://www.ontario.ca/document/2015-onta...ns-summary ) and whoever owns the property you're talking about.

There are plenty of reasons a waterbody could be off limits to fishing besides it being surrounded by private property. It could be listed in the regulations as a year-round fish sanctuary, though in this case Mill Pond in Richmond Hill is not (unless it has another name). Alternately, even if it's on "public" property, it could be owned by an agency (eg municipality, conservation authority, etc) that makes their own rules about what activities are allowed there.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply