You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

OFAH membership?
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
OFAH membership?
Anyone on here a member of OFAH?

I was looking at their membership package and was wondering what the organisation is like for ground roots level membership?

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
RE: OFAH membership?
(01-14-2013 02:14 PM)MikeH Wrote:  Anyone on here a member of OFAH?

I was looking at their membership package and was wondering what the organisation is like for ground roots level membership?

I was doing the same.... It looks like they have 2 membership types one for just membership and the magazine.... The other one costs about $20 more but you get a whack load of swag (including a reel).

I decided to pass this year just for budget reasons. I'd rather get my gear sorted out this year than this membership.
Find all posts by this user
01-14-2013, 04:33 PM
I was a member for a very long time ………. long ago. I let my membership lapse when I was out of province working for several years. Never have got back into it since – my fault, not theirs……. was a budget thing too.

I too have been considering “re-upping”, not so much for the freebies – but to support them.

It is a VERY good organization and does a lot of work towards logical conservation while striving (with class) to preserve, protect and improve both hunting and fishing opportunities, quality, rights and access within Ontario.

I can’t say I agree with all their positions – but definitely a majority of them in regards to fishing.

They, like many current corporations and charities, have been negatively experiencing the recessional downturn with financial statements dropping from black to red over the past few years. Not doom time, as their assets are far in excess of the shortfall.

Yes you do get a free magazine and stuff, plus discounts at many retailers. The liability insurance is great if you hunt. But more important, if affordable, you also support a good cause. And I would imagine that you could easily get involved even deeper by getting onboard with their many subcommittees, initiatives, and zone meetings.

.pdf  2010_OFAH_Annual_Report_e.pdf (Size: 362.28 KB / Downloads: 20)

.pdf  2011_OFAH_Annual_Report financial.pdf (Size: 1.81 MB / Downloads: 28)

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
OFAH did they protect your fishing rights in Toronto during the fishing ban...no!
After we embarassed Chris Robinson OFAH at a June 12, 2012 Fishes of Toronto book launch in front of the media they got involved but by that time we already were pushing the motion through city council.
Where was the leadership?
They do provide tackle share twice a year at the Catch Fishing events in July and that is much appreciated.
I also saw Chris Robinson OFAH at the asian carp conference on Oct. 23 2012
They have a booth at the sportsman show.
not sure about their involvement with the salmon derby?
Someone should write them and ask what services they provided in the GTA in 2012.
Otherwise i believe most of their work is done in Peterborough, Barrie, Orialla smaller towns....
If they measure up to your expectations then definitely give them your support.
my opinion....but yeah i'm still pissed at them....no returned emails during a serious crisis that their mandate addresses....they were MIA.
01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
I'll check them out in person at the Sportsman show, good idea. Thanks!

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Opinions may vary from place to place.

The picture may be larger than just GTA fishing.

.pdf  Pres_Zone_cttee_aud_2011_OFAH_Annual_Report.pdf (Size: 3.48 MB / Downloads: 34)

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
"The Voice Of Anglers And Hunters"

01-16-2013, 01:46 AM
Jeremy ....that's my point they weren't the voice of anglers...they were a now show until we won the battle then they came in and put an article in ontario out of doors mag like they made it happen....that is why i hesitate to join and fund them...i used to years back....but they were and probably still are important player with the Ringwood hatchery and all the other Ontario fish hatcheries...so i guess even that warrants our support of the OFAH. or give a donation directly to the hatchery.
Thanks Old Timer for the link it was relevant and helpful.
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
(01-16-2013 01:46 AM)tangledline Wrote:  Jeremy ....that's my point they weren't the voice of anglers...they were a now show until we won the battle then they came in and put an article in ontario out of doors mag like they made it happen....that is why i hesitate to join and fund them...i used to years back....but they were and probably still are important player with the Ringwood hatchery and all the other Ontario fish hatcheries...so i guess even that warrants our support of the OFAH. or give a donation directly to the hatchery.
Thanks Old Timer for the link it was relevant and helpful.

OFAH, no longer has anything to do with the operations of the MEA program at the ringwood hatchery.

You can goto the website at metroeastanglers.com and check out their newsletters from the 2012 season.

there is some information about the changes of the MEA group.

as of last summer Metro east anglers have obtained Charity status and is their own entity and no longer needs the support/ funding that OFAH once gave.

Feel free to donate to the MEA you will receive a tax receipt as a charity donation. and you will have the satisfaction of knowing your helping to buy fish food... Wink ...

~Jeremy.

01-18-2013, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2013 01:12 AM by Eli.)
IMHO it's just a stooge organization for various levels of the Conservative government.

Where was the OFAH when the Conservadrones carved fish habitat protection out of the Fisheries Act?

Where was the OFAH when the Navigable Waters Protection Act was re-written by low-brow mouthbreathers, removing navigation protection from 99.9% of Canada's inland water systems?

Seriously, where was this so called "voice of anglers and hunter"?