You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Turks and Caicos
09-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Turks and Caicos
Hey Everyone,

I will be in Turks & Caicos (providenciales) for a confrence starting next saturday and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good fishing charters out there. Or if I bring my own gear, what should I be bringing with me.

I've never fished salt water and I really don't know where to begin. I know there is great Bone fishing to be done but I just don't know where to start.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 04:54 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Turks and Caicos
Hey,

Now that sounds like a great opportunity to get into a bit of salt water fishing, and at a good time of the year. Good for you!

I haven’t been there - but I have been to the nearby Bahamas and fished it.

Bonefish and barracuda should both be good this time of year in that area.

I can’t help you on charters. But that would be the way to go if you seek bonefish. Won’t be cheap.

If it’s like most of the islands you will not find a friendly “Buddy’s Bait” nearby,….. or maybe not anywhere….

So……….. at the very least take some gear so ya can at least putter on the close by shore and jetties…… such as:

A medium weight telescopic spinning rod. (20 bucks most places)

A handful of nylon skirt or bucktail skirt salt water jigs (Bass Pro carries some) in at least 3/4 ounce or more++, and at least 2/0 to 8/0 in size. Yellow and white are best. Probably 3 or 4 bucks each.

A few smaller mariboo jigs with gold hooks. Small baitfish will hit them fished vertically.

A few heavy spoons with a chrome finish. Again in at least 1 ounce or more.

For bait fishing - a handful of gold-plated 2/0 hooks, and a half dozen 4 oz+ ounce pyramid sinkers for bait fishing.

A spinning reel that you’d use for pike with at least 15 pound test MONO on it.

Pliers……and – a knife to cut up wee fish you may catch - for bait.

If you hadn’t noticed……….. Everything in the salt is usually way heavier, stronger, and robust than in our local sport.

The above should take up minimum room in your checked luggage.

Once you get into it you’ll find that salt water fish are not as fussy or selective as our game fish here regarding lures and the need for precise lifelike appearance– but they do like a faster retrieve. They can get very fussy with baits and freshness.

Careful………….. most of the saltwater beasties have very sharp teeth and/or gill covers.

Rinse all gear in fresh water at the end of the outing. Including the rod, its reel seat, and the entire reel after taking the spool off and rising it as well. It’s amazing how fast the salt can totally mess gear up.

Chat up the hotel staff locals – they’ll help re fishin spots on the beaches nearby.

Check the local regs re need for a license.

Tip – on one island trip I managed to get the hotel restaurant staff to provide me some raw shrimp to use as bait. All I had to do was promise to bring them a catch if I was lucky…….. which I did…… and……. the next day I had a line up on the pier - all waiting for fish each as I caught them. Great times.

Hope you have a blast………..

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks OT,

You always seem to give great advice.

You do mention GOLD hooks a couple of times. Is that because of colour? or the actual metal itself and how it reacts with the salt water?
09-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Gold plated- Its mostly for corrosion protection - but I also like the bit of sparkle it gives......... so do the fish.

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (09-04-2012)
09-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey WKND OUTDOORSMAN,

Did you get out fishing on these islands?

OT

See you on the river.
09-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Hey OT,

I did not get a chance to get out. I tried to get a charter out but I had no company. If i went by myself it would have cost me at least $700. As for trying to get out on my own, the water around the resort I was on was government protected. I did have a chance to snorkel the waters and saw a few barracudda's and other fish I can't identify. Saltwater fishing is still on my bucket list!
09-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Thats too bad. But the snorkeling sounds like it was great.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.