You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dec 02 fish'n in the rain
12-02-2012, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 09:27 PM by tangledline.)
Dec 02 fish'n in the rain
Well today was a warm Dec02....10c and a warm rain to boot.

I have been real busy with work and fighting a serious cold so with reservations i went fish'n.

The 5 km bike ride in the rain through Toronto traffic was fun...yeah sure.

Safely at my fishing hole i found pike, salmon,rainbow trout but no carp....

I was using curry corn for the first time....i baited lightly....i was pleasently surprised that i got visits by

all the fish in the area...they seemed curious of the smell...they didn't approach the bait directly but cruised through the swim area. This was a good sign i thought.

Half hour passes no carp....so i brought in the rod and tried for an hour with another rod rigged for trout.

follow after follow...but no commitment.

so i went back to searching for carp and found some at the end of the canal i was fishing.

i never had any luck in this area and landing a carp here would be difficult to say the least.

these were the only carp i could find so i gave the area a try.

i baited and set up the rod and then lied down on the ground to hide.

yep hide....you see the bright yellow rain gear pants i was wearing kinda stood out and the carp were staring at me and so i had to dissappear. i used some wire and lashed my rod to the wire railing just in case i couldn't get to the rod in time.

half hour later i see the rod bouncing and know there has been a take...20 seconds of screaming run while i try to undo the wire lashing of the rod.....the carp has taken out alot of line and ran through two bridges...

challenging ....i thought ok the pressures off...even if you can fight the carp back through both bridges ...there is no way you can reach the carp with the net...no access point through the railing.

so i fought the carp back and had it below me and felt i had won a hard fought battle....i wanted to get this carp landed.

i actually let out line and worked around bushes and trees and travelled another 50 feet until i found myself a place where i stood a chance of landing the carp.

i tweaked a rib muscle reaching out while lying on the wet ground1/2 of me hanging down over the water...i was pretty sure i was gonna go for a swim...but my luck prevailed and i landed the carp.

my first curry corn carp...thankyou CAG members for the tip...it worked very well.

17lbs 8oz carp ....i am so happy!!!!....the work that went into this one carp made it feel like it was such a victory.

i also spotted the carp with the lamprey on it...same pod of carp today.

around 3pm water conditions went to crap where i was fishing...i tried for an hour and felt like everything vacated the area with the changing muddiness of the water....i checked out other areas and then went home with out seeing any more carp.
[Image: satdec02005.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2012, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 10:43 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Dec 02 fish'n in the rain
Nice Dave! I came by for a bite at your work and was happy that one of your employee said you're off work today and likely fishing Big Grin

I went to your spot twice recently and saw only carp (that didn't stick around) but nothing else (no pike or trout). Tossed spinners and others for a few hours and nada. Didn't see any bait though. Did you see bait today? Any Gizzard Shad?

I should really try to spend a day there with you to learn the spot Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2012, 11:15 PM
hey thanks for dropping by the restaurant....
no gizzard shad today....a dozen small fish in a school though
saw 20+ rainbow trout
3 salmon
2 pike
1 lamprey
9 carp
12-02-2012, 11:25 PM
(12-02-2012 09:25 PM)tangledline Wrote:  Well today was a warm Dec02....10c and a warm rain to boot.

I have been real busy with work and fighting a serious cold so with reservations i went fish'n.

The 5 km bike ride in the rain through Toronto traffic was fun...yeah sure.

Safely at my fishing hole i found pike, salmon,rainbow trout but no carp....

I was using curry corn for the first time....i baited lightly....i was pleasently surprised that i got visits by

all the fish in the area...they seemed curious of the smell...they didn't approach the bait directly but cruised through the swim area. This was a good sign i thought.

Half hour passes no carp....so i brought in the rod and tried for an hour with another rod rigged for trout.

follow after follow...but no commitment.

so i went back to searching for carp and found some at the end of the canal i was fishing.

i never had any luck in this area and landing a carp here would be difficult to say the least.

these were the only carp i could find so i gave the area a try.

i baited and set up the rod and then lied down on the ground to hide.

yep hide....you see the bright yellow rain gear pants i was wearing kinda stood out and the carp were staring at me and so i had to dissappear. i used some wire and lashed my rod to the wire railing just in case i couldn't get to the rod in time.

half hour later i see the rod bouncing and know there has been a take...20 seconds of screaming run while i try to undo the wire lashing of the rod.....the carp has taken out alot of line and ran through two bridges...

challenging ....i thought ok the pressures off...even if you can fight the carp back through both bridges ...there is no way you can reach the carp with the net...no access point through the railing.

so i fought the carp back and had it below me and felt i had won a hard fought battle....i wanted to get this carp landed.

i actually let out line and worked around bushes and trees and travelled another 50 feet until i found myself a place where i stood a chance of landing the carp.

i tweaked a rib muscle reaching out while lying on the wet ground1/2 of me hanging down over the water...i was pretty sure i was gonna go for a swim...but my luck prevailed and i landed the carp.

my first curry corn carp...thankyou CAG members for the tip...it worked very well.

17lbs 8oz carp ....i am so happy!!!!....the work that went into this one carp made it feel like it was such a victory.

i also spotted the carp with the lamprey on it...same pod of carp today.

around 3pm water conditions went to crap where i was fishing...i tried for an hour and felt like everything vacated the area with the changing muddiness of the water....i checked out other areas and then went home with out seeing any more carp.
[Image: satdec02005.jpg]

Wow... great saga!! Wink

Cheers,
Tjh70
12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Great job!
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Dave that bright yellow rain suit of yours is priceless, and look at the "adventure" it got you into Tongue. Congrats!!

Reminds me of that one trout I had to go swimming for... Tongue the one in the facebook picture of me with net in mouth LOL

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user