You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

White River Sling Ranger Fly Patrol Pack
04-23-2013, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 09:40 AM by zippyFX.)
White River Sling Ranger Fly Patrol Pack
http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Sling...ID=vantage

I was not enjoying lugging around a small/medium tackle box for some of my quicker targeted excursions. I tried carrying a small plastic storage box in my pocket but though OK sometimes it still did not allow for storage of the lures I wanted to bring. This would also work nice carrying my release equipment when I try for musky again, so I can worm my way around the area with my big tackle box at the main spot but if I catch something I would have everything required for CPR on me at all times. I was looking for something small and light and something that could be worn high on the back in case I wanted to wade. I also wanted something inexpensive.

I picked up this pack over the winter as it seemed to fit my needs. I like the fact that it is a single shoulder operation (bandoleer style). It fits tight to my back, and I can get it to ride high..... When I need something I can pull it around so it slides over my shoulder and moves from my back to my front for easy access to items.

The compartments are handy and easy to use. It hold a dozen or so UL lures (I have started keeping them in the boxes they come in for easy of storage and just toss these into the bag as needed. It carries all my release gear and camera nicely. I was going to find a small thin container I could store worms to make it even more handy.

I got this from Bass pro online when they were offering free shipping and got it for about $35. I found others that fit this profile but they started at more than double the price. the one thing I would change about this product is that it is only available in one gaudy color.

If you like to carry lots of tackle and lures this may not be your thing but if you often go out for species specific trip and know what you'll need this should cover most of your needs. The only thing I will have to carry by hand would be a net and minnows.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2013, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 03:24 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: White River Sling Ranger Fly Patrol Pack
Interesting bag......... I use an old WWII army ammo bag that's quite similar in size.

A few tips:

Spray just the outside bottom with scotchguard - it slows down moisture pickup and dirt if you lay it on the ground.

I've found that attaching my nailclippers to a key lanyard then to a carabiner clip attached to the shoulder strap is handy.

Small soft plastic chip dip, or the even smaller cream cheese containers are great for worms. And they dont break like that styrofoam crap... and are waterproof, and float............

Go to a sewing/textile supply store - get the heaviest round elastic cord they sell for a lanyard for your short handled net.............. and wear it across the other shoulder and on your back till needed - then it stretches for use. It's cheap so buy 6 to 8 feet and then test what length you need before you cut it.

As for the colour............ sew on fishing club or manufacturers patches work wonders............

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Great ideas Thanks!
04-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Great ideas all around. I just started experimenting with a big fanny pack this month... as an alternative to a clunky backpack. The accessibility is much better... don't have to take the bag off and start unzipping pockets when I have to re-tie. OT, that's solid advice for net keeping.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2014, 01:23 PM
After a year of use I can honestly this has been a very ergonomic purchase. Most of the times I don't bring a tackle box with me unless I am using lures. For the amount of use, abuse and weather it has endured I am impressed by how it's kept up appearances. It hold allot and has many pockets to help you stay organised.

The worst thing that has come of it is that some lures got hooked on the mesh netting on some of the pockets that required me to cut them out. A couple of jig heads also got snagged on the interior nylon lining when I was not being as careful with my hooks as I should have been.
06-16-2015, 12:06 PM
This pack bit the bullet this year due to abuse. Over stuffing it with a mini-lure kit popped one of the seams. My pliers also poked a hole into the side.

I was going to re-order at Christmas but it was no longer available. Just checking today and it seems to be back in a brown that looks better than the green.

I ended up getting an Orvis sling pack that has since been discontinued which cost twice as much. I have just started using it and I will publish a separate report on that one.

It was shame I liked it a lot, many pockets were helpful. For the price it was well worth it.