Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Lure fishing for carp?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.

Has anyone ever had any success fishing for carp using lures? I have read reports that small spoons can be used...in my experience I have seen carp chase down small spoons when I have been pike fishing, but the never bite.
In my experince it's a low percentage game........... have landed a few usng flies and small spinners.......... but never on a spoon or plug.
Yea. I figured the chances are low. The only reason I ask is it seems no matter which fishing spot I am at, carp are there in numbers. I don't really have any interest in catching them as such, but was curious if anyone had on small spinners before.

Worth a shot I guess when the pike are not biting.
I've heard of them being caught on minnows.

I've been fishing for pike and on two instances my friends have ended up with a snagged carp, but not a fair hooked one.
My dad caught a 30lber at Rice Lake back in the day on a Canadian Wiggler. So it's definitely possible.
Interesting this subject comes up today...

I Fished milne pond yesterday.

fished from shore saw hundreds, of carp everywhere. splashing around and burying their heads in the mud scrounging for food..

What I did notice after a while once I got my boat out, is that some of these carp were actually eating off the top.

I had my fly rod there hoping I could find Trout, but it was a carp frenzy there yesterday..

As we spent more time on the boat we actually started to noticed small minnows jumping out of the water and big swales right behind those minnows....

It was the carp chasing the minnows...

I Always thought Carp were bottom eaters...

Pete Bowman and Angelo Viola filmed a show once in front of the outflow of the pickering nuke plant...
Pete Bowman retreived a massive carp off a body bait...

Next time I go for carp im bringing out some drop shot rigs and putting some live minnows on that thing....

I feel I Learned allot about carp yesterday, Standing in a boat being right on top of them in 2 feet of water...

~Jeremy
(05-21-2013 03:33 PM)--G-- Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys.

Has anyone ever had any success fishing for carp using lures? I have read reports that small spoons can be used...in my experience I have seen carp chase down small spoons when I have been pike fishing, but the never bite.

On the grand river around york, ontario (main bridge, follow walking path 100m from bridge). My girlfriend caught 2 carp with bobber and worm.
You will be wasting a lot of time if you're going to cast artificial lure on a carp. I'm not saying it's impossible but why rig a low % setup if a simple corn or worm on a hook is way way better? Remember that carp's mouth is not that big and it takes a really small plug or spoon to entice them to eat. I was at Milne the other day and caught OOS Bass approx 5 inches. unhook in the water. went on the other side and caught a small trout.
Reference URL's