Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: long rods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would recommend a slip bubble float. You can feel even the smallest of nibbles and they cast very far. Also when the fish are feeding from the top you can dry fly fish on a spinning rod and it's a lot of fun.
(06-11-2013 09:20 AM)alcom Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried spinning rods in the 9 to 13 foot range for lake fishing?

I once stood next to a fellow who was casting a few yards farther than me, and he pulled in crappies (17) on every other cast while I was skunked. He was a local and explained that I wasn't making it to the hole.

That experience has never left me, and I'm wondering how much farther you can reach with a long rod. Okuma has a 10 ft. Celilo rod that's rated for 4-12 lb. line. If there's a chance this could give me a third more distance compared to a 6.5 ft. rod, that would be interesting.

Given the same line and lure weight, how much is a 10 ft. rod worth when it comes to distance?

Casting of piers for salmon, trout, and drum is more effective with a longer rod.
With the right combination of line, reel, rod action, and lure weight, 100 yards+ is possible. Early in the fall and in the spring the longer distances can be the difference in reaching the fish or presenting the lure to MORE fish to increase the possibility of a hook up. 9.5 to 10.5 ft lengths are my go-to sizes.

I also use a 8.5 ft UL for panfish, which is easier to float a bait over longer distances from shore. I am able to cast 30+yards with a Thill float and a micro tube. Something my 6 ft UL just could not do. The 6 ft rod is the creek rod for tight spaces.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's