Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Niagara Falls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Going to be in the niagara falls area in about a week and was wondering what are some of the best fishing spots? im having two friends come out who are very new to fishing and just interested in areas that they will catch anything Smile
Google niagara whirlpool.. must see place but prepared for some serious hiking.
Ok, next sunday or monday i'll be hiking to the niagara whirlpool. Should be a lot of fun, even if i don't catch anything. Everyone i ask seems to recommend that area.
Hey did you get any luck. I'm taking a bumch of guys who don't fish much as well. I want to make sure I get fush on the line for them.
I killed it at my first time at the Whirlpool. Didn't see many other people get much but if you know what you are doing you can catch some pretty monster fish. That hike is crazy though, not sure I'm gonna do that again for a while! LOL. I guess if you are in shape you will have no problem but I am still recovering from the trip and I went on Monday!
(07-26-2013 01:46 AM)mcfly Wrote: [ -> ]I killed it at my first time at the Whirlpool. Didn't see many other people get much but if you know what you are doing you can catch some pretty monster fish.

Hey McFly.
I too am planning on visiting the whirlpool but your statement concerns me a little as I consider myself as to be one of those who doesn't know what they are doing. What techniques would you suggest I follow? I remember you wrote that you used minnows. I didn't plan on purchasing minnows as I already have a pretty good selection of soft and hard plastics and I'll get some worms, perhaps corn as well. Advice?
Is the hike rough because it's a long way, or because of the terrain? I assume pretty steep? Are the 'paths' pretty clear of vegetation, or do you need a machete?
(07-26-2013 10:43 AM)ST_ShoreFisher Wrote: [ -> ]Is the hike rough because it's a long way, or because of the terrain? I assume pretty steep? Are the 'paths' pretty clear of vegetation, or do you need a machete?

Super steep and plenty of stairs. The hike is not for the weak-kneed. Try to minimize the amount of gear you take with you. You'll do fine without a machete, but I do suggest a layer of bug spray. Other than that it is a fabulous spot to catch any specie of fish.
(07-26-2013 08:08 AM)alex_fish Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2013 01:46 AM)mcfly Wrote: [ -> ]I killed it at my first time at the Whirlpool. Didn't see many other people get much but if you know what you are doing you can catch some pretty monster fish.

Hey McFly.
I too am planning on visiting the whirlpool but your statement concerns me a little as I consider myself as to be one of those who doesn't know what they are doing. What techniques would you suggest I follow? I remember you wrote that you used minnows. I didn't plan on purchasing minnows as I already have a pretty good selection of soft and hard plastics and I'll get some worms, perhaps corn as well. Advice?

Niagara has weed beds, lots of large boulders, a deep incline, and pretty crazy currents that zig zag. Try to prevent snagging by using lures off the bottom, and if your going on the bottom try to rig breakaway sinkers as you will snag pretty much every single time.

If anyone is there Monday, come say hi, I'll be there wearing a red raptors hat. I would definitely be willing to give tips on techniques. However, I'll be going there strictly to catch Carp, Buffalo Carp, and 'River Monsters" Cool
(07-27-2013 11:57 AM)mcfly Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone is there Monday, come say hi, I'll be there wearing a red raptors hat. I would definitely be willing to give tips on techniques. However, I'll be going there strictly to catch Carp, Buffalo Carp, and 'River Monsters" Cool

Monday? How unfortunate it isn't tomorrow because that is when I am planning on heading down there.
I really hope I catch something. Anything really.
Also what are "river monsters"? Muskie, Catfish?
By the way. Which path exactly would one take to get down the the pool?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's