Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Kwartha Muskie from shore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I'm coming over from Scotland on vacation...

I've read a lot about the good fishing in the Kawarthas.

We have a cottage booked early August in Burleigh Falls, on Lake Julian??

What is the fishing like there?

Is there anywhere I can try for Muskie form the shore?

I'm also intending on purchasing a 7 - 8 foot medium - Heavy spinning rod?
and some large plugs & spoons, so any recommendations also welcome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I shall of course at a guest endeavor to be respectful of the fish and locations.

Thank you.

David.
There is definitely a possibility of getting Muskie from shore. Not the greatest chances but if you find a good spot you never know. I'd recommend finding some good Muskie lures like Large Spinners with dressing like Mepps Muskie Killers or big bucktails. If nothing else is working a sucker or shiner never fails. The forum admin MichaelAngelo caught 2 off a dock in one night, so it is definitely possible.
Welcome to Canada... I am sure you will have a fun... Would recommend renting a boat as most of the cottages rent them for very reasonable rates... Or you can hire a guide with a boat.. Here is one I use and his charges are on his site.. ppmps.ca For tackle I would recommend you buy them in Toronto before you head out to your cottage so you get the best selection and price.

Basspro - http://www.basspro.com/, Sail - Sail.ca or Lebaron - Lebaron.ca are the bigger stores while there are plenty of small tackle shops all over the place.

Caught one muskie this season however it was from a boat and the lure was a bulldawgs by Muskie innovations...

Good luck
Just what I was looking for... a small body of water with muskie Smile. If you fish for the bass with wire leaders eventually you'll bump into a muskie... they get caught on everything from Mepps size 3's to grubs to giant muskie-oriented baits.

edit, OT that's a pretty awesome tool. I can search by fish species ie "Bowfin" Big Grin. Eli may find this tool helpful in his search for one.
My friend caught a baby Muskie a few weeks ago off one of the marina docks but the larger ones are located in the channel. We had some success catching them with spinner baits.
Reference URL's