Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: First timer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
Thank you for the welcoming. I live in Toronto. Have been fishing for over 46 years. I have gotten hooked on fishing the first time that my brother took me to his friend's cottage. My first fish was a rock bass and it felt amazing and I was hooked for life. I like fishing for everything, as long as I have a fishing rod in my hand.

I enjoy building my own custom fishing rods, but the cost of fishing rods had come down so much that it does not even make economic sense to make them yourself.

I'm constantly looking for shore fishing spots within driving distance of Toronto. It sounds like most of the people on this forum enjoy the same thing that I do.

Thanks.
Welcome!
(08-03-2013 10:27 PM)Homeseller Wrote: [ -> ]I enjoy building my own custom fishing rods, but the cost of fishing rods had come down so much that it does not even make economic sense to make them yourself.

Welcome Homeseller,

What material do you use to construct the shaft of the rod? That sounds very interesting. It might not prove to be financially viable but it sounds like it a great hobby and the output is a one of a kind hand crafted creation. Do you use a lathe to shape the rod?
Welcome to this forum and am sure you can learn a lot by reading old posts which is what I am trying my best to do....
(08-04-2013 07:02 PM)ray6591 Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to this forum and am sure you can learn a lot by reading old posts which is what I am trying my best to do....

Hey,
Thanks for the heads up. Lots of interesting reads.

(08-04-2013 12:28 AM)alex_fish Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2013 10:27 PM)Homeseller Wrote: [ -> ]I enjoy building my own custom fishing rods, but the cost of fishing rods had come down so much that it does not even make economic sense to make them yourself.

Welcome Homeseller,

What material do you use to construct the shaft of the rod? That sounds very interesting. It might not prove to be financially viable but it sounds like it a great hobby and the output is a one of a kind hand crafted creation. Do you use a lathe to shape the rod?
Hi HomeSeller,

Welcome to OSF.

I too used to build my own rods from Lamiglass blanks (about 30 years ago) ....... still have a few kickin' around. They are as you say - a labour of love....... with cool custom windings......

Cheers,

OldTimer
Welcome!

fish hard
fish forever
IFish
Cool
You're absolutely right OldTimer, about the "labour of love". I still use them. I have a few Lamiglass, fenwick fiberglass, as well as HMG. My favourite is a 4'6" one-piece with a Lamiglass blank fast action and fugi guides make especially for panfish.

Homeseller
Reference URL's