Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fishing on my own
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just thought I would pop in and say hi. I have always enjoyed fishing, but have been handicapped by the fact that I am uncomfortable touching fish. This has meant that I could only go out if I had someone with me who was able to take off any fish caught. Now with a 4 year-old son of my own, I want to be able to take him out for the experiences I had as a boy (I also want to maintain my "Daddy can do anything" image for as long as possible Wink ). Last week I went out and purchased a pair of fishing gloves, and began practicing on small bass and sunfish by docks. I am happy to say I took more fish off the hook on my first day than I had in my previous 33 years of life. This morning I went for my first solo fishing outing. I got a bit of a shock going from taking off those little sunfish the day before, to having to remove a 26in pike today. Thankfully I was able to successfully remove it, and he is now back swimming in the river.

I also wanted to thank OldTimer for posting those contour maps of the various lakes last year. I live about 1 minute on foot from the edge of Mary Lake, and was having one heck of a time finding an underwater map of it.

Cheers
Hey Shamus,

I'm always happy to hear someone is getting some use from those old maps.

Looking forward to your reports from Mary Lake.

Welcome to OSF.

Regards,

OldTimer
Welcome!
Welcome there Shamus. Congrats on the big pike! I'm sure you had a heck of a time unhooking it compared to the sunfish Big Grin. Glad you're overcoming that hurdle! I know a lot of people who felt the same way you did.
Reference URL's