Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Going for Lake Trout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While not shore fishing (most of the public lake access points around here are too shallow), I am looking to try my hand at fishing for lake trout.
I've been doing some reading on trolling for lake trout, and have found lots of good information.

There is one area that I'm still unsure of, and that's where in the water to put my lure. I have read about letting your line out until your lure reaches the bottom, and then reeling it up a few feet and trolling at that level. However, unless the bottom is perfectly flat, the lure is either going to run into the bottom, or pull away from it. I have also read about putting your lure down into the thermocline that is housing the trout, and keeping it at that depth no mater how deep the bottom is.

Can anyone comment on these two ideas? Also, I will be in a canoe with no fish detector. Any tips you might have on how to troll from such a craft, and how to find the trout without a fish detector would be most appreciated.

I have most of the basics ready to go as a few days ago I picked up a three-way, a couple of 1oz weights and a silver spoon (I also have a contour map of the lake). The local bait and tackle shop owner recommended a William Wabler w60 for the lake trout. The spoon, and hook especially seem a bit big to me, but he was insistent that it is a good size for 2-3 pound lakers. Any thoughts?

Cheers
The William is good. Try to find about 60-120 feet and jig that spoon, trolling from a kayak would be difficult and trolling at that depth effectively would require a downrigger. Stick to jigging the Williams and you'll get on some fish.
Reference URL's