Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Argh! Bail shutting on me...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was casting heavy lures this morning (looking for Pike and Muskie) and I had the bail shut on me a number of times.....

I lost two lures ($40 value)..... Snapped 50lb braid and watched the top waters sail away from me and bob in the current about 50 yards out; I was hoping a someone ina canoe or boat would be by but no luck.... At least I have started making my own heavy leaders and they just net me a couple of bucks loss.

Any tips to preventing this? I was doing a side cast for distance and it was working well most of the time.

Would have been better had I not been skunked Angry
One thing to 100% prevent bail shutting is to use a baitcaster with those heavy lures! I have a great one for sale in the classifieds section I am selling or willing to trade for.
Study the trip point(s) for the bail on the reel you are using.......... sounds like you are opening the bail very close to one of these prior to your cast - which in turn is causing almost a "hair trigger" like bail closure on the sudden jolt and associated slight revolution when the line goes out.

Perhaps making a habit of opening the bail at a point a bit more remote from the trip will aid you here. 15 or 20 degrees should make a big difference.

Also.......... make sure your line isn't catching on the edge of the bail arm.

Cheers,

OldTimer
OT has a point.

In my experience, I've never had any issues with bails closing on me when the line roller is in the "top" position (where I grab the line with my finger). What reel are you using (so I know never to buy one LOL)?
I sometimes have the same problem. most of the time it happens when i don't have the bail at the right point before casting.

OT has a good point Smile
Thanks guys. I think it maybe that I am getting a bit sloppy with how I open the bail.

I have not had a,chance to check the reel yet but thanks for the suggestion OT!
In pondering this - I wonder how old the subject reel is............ is it possible the trigger mechanism needs service (ie weak springs, or worn work points)?
More detailed report.... I spent alot of time cast heavy lures on Thursday and Saturday and I think I have found the problem......

- First and foremost the reel in a Shimano Ciena 4000 and only a couple of months old; I could not find any evidence it was the reel

After carefully watching each cast I noticed the following sloppy technique on part:
- When opening the bail sometime I would not open it 100%; I think this could be one cause as it would snap shut during the cast;
- When opening the bail some wrist action would, at times move the roller from about 12:00 to 2:00; This could have been a contributing factor;
- After opening the bail and opening and moving my hand back to the reel seat I noticed that twice my fingers accidentally turned the bail significantly (approximately 3 hours on the clock); This could have been a contributing factor;

Thanks for all the pointers and letting me know what I should look for. It happend to me sometime with lighter lures but the line never broke this got me to focus on the the entire casting procedure end to end.

You know what the kicker is though!? I lost another Suick Nightstalker today because my Basspro flurocarbon leader (100lb test) broke at the snap on the very first cast this morning.... Man was I POd ... I started making my own fluro leaders this season but I had a couple of leftovers so chose to use a purchased one instead of my own. Argh!
Man that's getting a bit expensive.................... have you considered braided wire leaders?

OT
Reference URL's