Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Repairing bobbers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have heaps plastic bobbers that are cracked and/or have chipped tips. I guess I'll bust out the epoxy and try to put them back together or replace the tips with toothpicks. Anybody have any ideas/inspiration for me on putting these bad bobbers back together?
Perhaps "airplane model glue" might be a better choice than epoxy for the harder thermoplastics that work by solvent produced fusion, rather than epoxy which is a static adhesion process. Test it out....... definitely would add less weight.

Are a lot of them the same size & shape?........... perhaps scavenging from some and re-assembly, or lapping sections, might produce whole units again.....a very thin Dremel cutting disc would be useful here... like a bobber "chop-shop" thing...........smile

OT
I like the "chop shop" idea Tongue. Unfortunately I'm currently devoid of all tools save for a drill and random screwdrivers Confused. One day I'll have a dremel. LOL

'Till then it's glue, drill, and duct tape.

(09-04-2013 02:55 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]that work by solvent produced fusion, rather than epoxy which is a static adhesion process.

Can you elaborate on this? Why would one be better than the other on the bobbers? And how about a wood bobber?
On a crack the epoxy will cover the area but I doubt it will penetrate due to its viscosity.

The lighter solvent glue may seep into the cracking in varying degrees (dependant on gap and application).

Plus the solvent glues will evaporate to approx. 50% less weight and volume as they dry - with the epoxy there is no significant loss in either volume or in weight as it is a straight up catalytic cure.

Epoxy in water would be better than "wood glues" which are water based and will dissolve and weaken in this purpose. Regular epoxy will withstand a lot of water contact - but there are "marine grade epoxy" glues that offer even greater resistance.

"Crazy Glue" is not suited to this application at all.

Sorry to go on.......... sorta into glue types and uses - from my days of building/repairing guitars and fishing rods.

Cheers,

OldTimer

PS........................."Till then it's glue, drill, and duct tape"....... what!................ no hammer?
spray foam. will fill the crack and add buoyancy. Smile
Reference URL's