Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Rideau Canal - Ottawa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Of possible interest/use:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Visi...story.html

[attachment=654]

Cheers,

OldTimer
Cool article! Although I think one would have more luck with worms than with a wacky-rigged plastic. And I don't think you should chase muskies with 8lb line... as the article implies Tongue. Either way, it's clear Ottawa has some great urban fishing.

The biggest freshwater fish I've seen in my life was a muskie on the Niagara River... at first glance I thought I was seeing a mammoth sturgeon or something. We saw 7 or 8 muskies basking in 10 FOW that day.... majestic.
Excellent! I often go to Ottawa and will be there for research next summer. I'm definitely going to hit the canal and Dows lake.
Thanks for the link.

I hit the canal proper for the first time ever last weekend. I was looking for carp but that was not working out for me. I managed to land a smallmouth on a worm and bobber ~1.5 lbs and a large mouth on upper water column crank that came in at about 2 pounds. This time of year the weeds are high and going deep will get you nothing but grief. I was surprised at my quick success there gien I was only there for about 90 minutes.

The kids and I also hit Dows lake last weekend and they were catching pumpkinseed/bluegill/perch on demand. Nice places to picnic and run around, with trees to climb between bites.

I have done some research and think I have a couple of areas that should have Muskies
Reference URL's