Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Handline fishing techniques
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, who uses handline here? I use handline almost 90% of the time, as it is really convenient to carry around, and lets me fish for an hour or 2 after my university classes without having to bring/get my 7ft rod from home. I love to handline, not only because its dirt-cheap to make, repair and maintain, it lets me feel little bites and nudges so much better than a rod. Its also very exciting when you can feel the full weight of the fish at the end of your line.

I want to know if anyone else use handline, and if so, what kind of setup you use, and what are your experiences. Maybe share some techniques?

Here are my handline technique/setup:

I use a small pop bottle and wind about 30 yrds of 8lb mono around it.I always attach a snap-swivel at the end, and clip different hooks onto it for different purposes. Mostly uses size 2 mustad circle hooks. It lets me avoid the weak hook setting power (especially over a long distance) when using a handline.

I cast by spinning 3-4 ft of line at my side, and let it fly out. Always point the bottle at the target or else the line wont come off smoothly. Due to the amount of line that can be let out during casting (to cast comfortably, and safely), its better to use a sliding bobber, as it lets you avoid spinning a loooong line if you are using a clip-on float, and want the float XXft above the hook (imagine spinning 10ft of line above your head just to keep the float in position).

Smooth drag (about 2-3lb drag for my 8lb line. Heavier line allows for heavier drag) can be applied onto the line by wetting my hand and gripping the line as hard as I can/need to. This lets the line have a certain amount of resistance when being pulled out, and by wetting my hand, I can avoid nasty burns when the mono rubs against my palm. I have landed 15lb carps using my 8lb handline by applying this technique. I can also grip the line with a thick cloth, but the heat generated from the friction sometimes damages the line. I heard that certain handline reels (plastic, circular ones) have a drag system built into them.

As of now, I think I love my little plastic bottle more than my $70 rod setup Tongue
Wow that's a pretty neat set-up. The fact that you landed a big carp with it means a lot. Would love to see pictures of the set-up if you have any.

I tried hand-lining a bit for panfish using a small toilet brush tube to wrap line around. I'm sure the larger-diameter pop bottle would be more ideal for storing the line.
I love hand lining and do it once in a while for fun. My set up is literally a spool of line (what I use for leader usually) and just attach a hook with bait. When casting I can throw it out quite far if you hold your spool sideways (like a center pin) and let it fly. I don't usually think about drag as I usually only hand line for fish under 2lb, I don't think I'd attempt anything larger unless I had gloves on. I have cut my hand way too many times this summer when it comes to line pressure against my skin Sad
Reference URL's