Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: So, killing a fish to eat it....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This would lead us to the best way to keep fish after filleting/gutting.

I find it is best to submerse the fish in a bowl of water and freeze it in a solid block of ice.

Rather than just wrapping it up and putting it in the freezer without the water.

The fish being frozen in a solid block of ice will prevent freezer burn if the fish is left in the ice box for a long period of time.
(09-19-2013 11:25 AM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote: [ -> ]This would lead us to the best way to keep fish after filleting/gutting.

I find it is best to submerse the fish in a bowl of water and freeze it in a solid block of ice.

Rather than just wrapping it up and putting it in the freezer without the water.

The fish being frozen in a solid block of ice will prevent freezer burn if the fish is left in the ice box for a long period of time.

Yes it does prevent freezer burn - but I've found the quality of perimeter/surface flesh degrades on the required long thaw while swimming in water.

If the solid block of ice method were best - why do commercial concerns and commercial fisherman not use it?

OT
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's