Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: goldfish?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lets say some found a pond of big goldfish(not koi i no the differnece), but the mnr want pictures. How would one go about catching one. I've been researching for awhile on what they eat and ether get the "it a carp" or just use worms. The pond is infested with bluegill(fun on the fly) so worms are out of the question. And goldfish seem to have tiny mouths so a traditional hair rig is out of the question. Any one have a idea on what they eat?
Goldfish are just carp with bling. So try whatever you would use for carp.
What Dave said is actually wrong.

Goldfish and Carp are two different species who fall under two different genus'.

There is a pond near my house, in the same situation as the one you mention (may even be the same one, is it by an apartment?) and I have seen them live, dead, and caught. Goldfish and carp feed differently. Carp can take bigger baits due to their larger mouths. Whereas Goldfish are limited to smaller presentations.

Goldfish seem to like dough-like baits. Regular dough, a dough bait, etc.. work great for Goldfish. Bread on a hook works great also.

Goldfish feed in all columns of the water actively, bottom, mid water, and surface. Whereas Carp are predominately bottom feeders.

Try different things and see what works.

Good luck!
This may also be of help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish#Biology
sadly, i don't think its the same pond. It seems like people keep dumping there pets every where. I've seen a big bubble head goldfish that look massive. Sometimes i wonder why i report things to the mnr they never show up or want better,clear pics of caught fish.
(07-28-2014 01:11 PM)FrenchCarper Wrote: [ -> ]sadly, i don't think its the same pond. It seems like people keep dumping there pets every where. I've seen a big bubble head goldfish that look massive. Sometimes i wonder why i report things to the mnr they never show up or want better,clear pics of caught fish.

MNR doesn't care much for small, insignificant ponds, I've written to them concerning ponds in my area and they straight out said, they won't enforce much or at all because it is not a significant body of water.
Verbal communication with those in any level of government is (as they say) ain't worth the paper it's written on.

and:

............... one voice = insignificant............... 100+ voices = significant..................

..................email sent to one "official" or "representative" = insignificant...................... but copy your MPP, MP, related Minister(s), Local aldermen, local mayor and all local/area newspapers editors and possibly interested staff reporters = very significant (particularly around election time).

Grin.................

Cheers,

OldTimer
(07-29-2014 02:50 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Verbal communication with those in any level of government is (as they say) ain't worth the paper it's written on.

and:

............... one voice = insignificant............... 100+ voices = significant..................

..................email sent to one "official" or "representative" = insignificant...................... but copy your MPP, MP, related Minister(s), Local aldermen, local mayor and all local/area newspapers editors and possibly interested staff reporters = very significant (particularly around election time).

Grin.................

Cheers,

OldTimer

I tried the environmental head of Markham, said he can't do anything about it, and directed me to the MNR.

But I do believe your method works, it has proven to when fishing at Swan Lake was unbanned, just took a lot of emails.
(07-24-2014 06:16 PM)FrenchCarper Wrote: [ -> ]Lets say some found a pond of big goldfish(not koi i no the differnece), but the mnr want pictures. How would one go about catching one. I've been researching for awhile on what they eat and ether get the "it a carp" or just use worms. The pond is infested with bluegill(fun on the fly) so worms are out of the question. And goldfish seem to have tiny mouths so a traditional hair rig is out of the question. Any one have a idea on what they eat?

I catch goldfish using a hair rig (a really small one) and just a piece of floating plastic corn. No scents or anything else, and caught countless goldies with that technique. They even chase the plastic corn as you reel it in! Brickworks has tons of these goldfish
Reference URL's