Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Avoiding snags while bottom fishing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Look into a rig setup called the 'pickeral rig'. You can also buy them at Wallys for 86cents (can't find #4 hook size at Wallys) or $1.29 @ Bass City which has #4 and IIRC #6 setups.

I have used that pickeral rig from Bass City and have caught a lot of carp with it in combination with a set of bells on the tip of the rod. Of all the fish hook ups the fish hooked themselves and the reel went crazy putting out line. I prefer using clip on bells as I can walk away or do something else and can hear when the fish are nibbling by the intensity of the bell ringing. Bells @ Bass City are 1.99 and worth it.

With the pickeral rig you get 2 hooks suspended from the bottom of the water. Much like a drop shot rig but with 2 hooks. Pretty much all the times I've hooked the fish has been on the bottom hook. The top hook just is IDK, more for having more bait as scent to get the fish to come in more. You can tie your own rig setup if you want or buy them. I'm considering keeping a few in my emergency kit.

The ones at BassCity and Wallys IIRC are 20# test line rig setups. Not sure if the lines with the hooks are 20# as well but if you lose the hook it is easy to retie a line back to the rig.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's