Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Ports, Piers, Creeks, Rivers and Rainbows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Happy to join a new community of anglers!

I recently ventured down to the whirlpool in Niagara to happily find that it is opened up, almost completely free of ice in the water, and people are fishing! I was a little uncomfortable standing on the ice and snow so close to the edge there, especially as I had my pooch, so I just went home after. Long hour and half drive each way for a scouting mission, but at least I know.

I was hoping I could get into a port (credit/dalhousie/newcastle/hope) to throw some spoons and try to get some rainbow or browns. I haven't found any reports about this kind of fishing yet this year.

Also, I haven't really had too much experience spoon chucking. I usually use a spinning rod/reel with 6-8 pound monofilament with a 3/4-1oz shiny (gold/silver) with various colours (blue/pink/chartreuse/orange), and basically just give 'er. Cast, wait a few seconds 5-10 for a drop, and reel it in.

Am I using the wrong technique? Wrong tackle?

Haven't had much luck with this method, and I hope to get some new blood interested in fishing this year. Nothing gets people excited like catching their first big fish.

As for my welcome notes, I normally target trout, walleye, bass and pike, in that order Tongue I typically use spinners, cranks, spoons, tubes for casting and worms and roe for floats.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and used, so thank you in advance!

***Will post reports as they come.
Funny.... I just came back from niagra and had a similar experience. I didn't climb down though, I just scouted the whirlpool and the glen from up high. I was tackled up though and itchin to get down. Like you though those ice shelves were not worth the risk.

The recommendations I got, when using hardware, was too cast 3/8ths spoons into the current and let the drift. Some also recommended similar sized spinners. Most recommend longer rods. People I talked too said Browns were out.

I found a water front park at niagra on the lake that I cast for about half an hour. I had one apparent hit on a spinner but there was no definitive strike, head shake, or pull, and what ever it was dropped off. Likely a piece of would but if cold have been a lazy fish.

Let us know how you do!
The popular thing though is centre pinning. Some recommended drifting minnows at about 14 feet depth. You can try this with your spinning rod but your drift won't be as smooth.
I have a lot to learn
(03-18-2015 05:09 PM)myspacedave Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I haven't really had too much experience spoon chucking. I usually use a spinning rod/reel with 6-8 pound monofilament with a 3/4-1oz shiny (gold/silver) with various colours (blue/pink/chartreuse/orange), and basically just give 'er. Cast, wait a few seconds 5-10 for a drop, and reel it in.

Pretty much......... in open water (ports & piers).

6-8 is fine for smaller trout, but I'd go heavier in fall for salmon.

Vary weight, colour, count down in the water column, and retrieve speed - don't just do the same thing with the same lure for hours - ...........and when you do get a hit - analyze perhaps why and how........and follow that pattern.........

Cheers,

OldTimer
Reference URL's