Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Water temp still a bit too cold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prior to Two years ago, I was already consistently catching Carp or trout at this time of the year. Though we have a very mild spring-like temp this winter months, water temp below yearly average seemed to be lingering longer than normal. Attached are two informative sites that I consistently monitor before I head out to fish. Unless Lake ontario water temp reached around close to 50's soon, Carp fishing will have to hold off for a while. While Lake Erie waters have to reach around 55+ degrees for bass to start heading to the shallower waters of Niagara river to spawn. US bass fishing is open for catch and release only at this time of the year.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/laketemps/laketemps.php

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/
A few of us carry float thermometers to check water temps. I was able to find a shallow lagoon with a dark mud bottom that was reading 52-53 on the weekend, so the Carp were actively feeding in that area. Most of the harbourfront had dropped from 48 to 42 with the crappy weather we have had.
The temp is going up this week, hopefully that helps bring up the water temps.
Thanks for the links to the surface map fishfight, very useful!
Finally, a use for my digital recording thermometer. I have some15 ft probes and the lag time is only a few seconds.
(10-08-2012 11:56 AM)beaser Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, a use for my digital recording thermometer. I have some15 ft probes and the lag time is only a few seconds.

15 ft probes!?!? How big of a roast do you guys do for Thanksgiving...

What are those massive thermometers for?
The meter is 1"x4"x8" and the probes are type k thermocouple wire. The leads are very light (like 20lb mono) and I can make them any length I want. I was a refrigeration field engineer (troubleshooter for big systems) in my past life (working) and I have test equip up the wazzoo. Don't laugh I've actually used it to cook on the bar b q. The probes are good for -300°F to more than 500°F Confused Overkill you might say.
(10-08-2012 04:01 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]15 ft probes!?!? How big of a roast do you guys do for Thanksgiving...

What are those massive thermometers for?
Reference URL's