Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Time to take the time....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone and please forgive me for taking so long in posting under the " Welcome " index and telling you a little about myself. First off, as you have no doubt figured out, I am a procrastinator. This must make me proud because I have been this way most of my life. How I managed to wed, raise three fine children and retire to a life of....no not luxury, but fishing and camping and canoeing, I have no idea. I also am a grandfather to eleven grand and wonderful kids. I am an avid warm weather, freshwater fisherman and moved to the Kawartha Lakes region after I retired. I have been mostly a shore fisherman but occasionally I would rent a boat and motor and then last year (2015) I bought a canoe and am enjoying this very much. This past summer I was in Algonquin Park for a week at Canisbay Lake trout fishing and camping by myself and I have to tell you, it was beautiful. No lake trout but what a great time trying to catch them! I am booking time once again in the park this year but in a different location. Growing up just east of Toronto at Oshawa, My father and mother had me and my three brothers busy, camping and fishing all over Ontario. My Dad and I spent a lot of time together in our boat, fishing and talking as these are some of my fondest memories that him and I share. My two boys, as hard as I tried, never really connected with the fishing thing but, you cant have everything now, can you. My wife either, as she says," that's your thing not mine" I also collect fishing reels and a little bit of tackle. Really I am just getting started and when I can get somebody here to teach me how to post pics I will share them with you all. Long winded aren't I? As the opening says, it was about time.....thanks for giving me the time to share and I have been enjoying coming here and reading and learning. Your friend, Trevor Calhoun.
Welcome aboard eppy55, glad to hear you haven't given up on those Algonquin lake trout. What time of year were you at Cannisbay and how were you fishing for them?
Hey Eppy55,

Welcome to OSF. Looking forward to your posts.

Giuga10 put together a great post re the uploading, or attaching of remote picture files on this website:

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...g+pictures

Cheers,

OldTimer
(01-29-2016 05:51 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome aboard eppy55, glad to hear you haven't given up on those Algonquin lake trout. What time of year were you at Cannisbay and how were you fishing for them?

Hello tweedwolfscream, it was the second week of July last year and I was fishing from my canoe in deep water at a slow troll using mostly Williams spoons and changing up once in a while to brightly painted spinners such as Blue Fox and others. It was great, no fish but still, great! When I go back this year I think it be to the Petawawa River. Musky and walleye this time. Thanks for asking, Your friend Trevor Calhoun.
(01-30-2016 08:17 AM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Eppy55,

Welcome to OSF. Looking forward to your posts.

Giuga10 put together a great post re the uploading, or attaching of remote picture files on this website:

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...g+pictures

Cheers,

OldTimer

Thank you OldTimer, I will check this out, much appreciated as all I can learn will certainly help! Your friend Trevor Calhoun.
(01-30-2016 10:45 AM)eppy55 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello tweedwolfscream, it was the second week of July last year and I was fishing from my canoe in deep water at a slow troll using mostly Williams spoons and changing up once in a while to brightly painted spinners such as Blue Fox and others. It was great, no fish but still, great! When I go back this year I think it be to the Petawawa River. Musky and walleye this time. Thanks for asking, Your friend Trevor Calhoun.

Lake trout tend to be quite deep down in July/August, at least 20-30 feet on most Algonquin lakes. It's hard to get a lure down that deep when trolling from a canoe unless you're using a heavy setup like a bottom bouncer or steel/leadcore line. You can try jigging for them in windless conditions but then you can't really cover ground looking for the structure they like. If you really want to learn about summer lake trout fishing in Algonquin, and about the fish (and their speckled cousins) generally, consider taking Greg Betteridge's workshop put on for Friends of Algonquin Park in the summer. He teaches the leadcore line technique.

You probably know this, but just in case, walleye on the Petawawa are only downstream from Cedar Lake, and muskie are downstream from Lake Travers.
Reference URL's