Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Carp Exclusion Gates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was doing some reading about the habitat restoration that is happening in Ashbridges and Humber Bay, and I had a question about the underwater gates. I know they protect the new plants from the carp, but do they also exclude pike/bass/etc from entering the area? The swan/goose nesting enclosure at mimico creek is really warm, but I wasn't sure about whether larger fish could even make use of the habitat.
(05-09-2012 11:13 AM)Fransky Wrote: [ -> ]I was doing some reading about the habitat restoration that is happening in Ashbridges and Humber Bay, and I had a question about the underwater gates. I know they protect the new plants from the carp, but do they also exclude pike/bass/etc from entering the area? The swan/goose nesting enclosure at mimico creek is really warm, but I wasn't sure about whether larger fish could even make use of the habitat.

If the swan / goose nesting area is the enclosed area to the east of the creek, there are large fish in there. I was there on the weekend, and so was Googie. Most of the Carp gates are specifically designed to keep the large females out of the weed areas during spawning. Pike, smaller Carp and other fish seem to have no problem getting in when the gate is open, or they are using the large fence gate.

With a bit of luck we may see a few large Carp stuck outside the gate at TTP this weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d632vYEcB...r_embedded
Cool, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
Reference URL's