Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Spring Redhorse and Sucker primer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2016 Spring Redhorse & Suckers 101

Soon redhorse and white suckers will be also gathering to spawn. This is a great time to target them for some larger fish and for more concentrated hits.

In Ontario the species most anglers will see are:
- Silver Redhorse (spawns between 9C and 15C)
- Shorthead Redhorse (spawns between 10C and 18C)
- White Sucker (spawns between 10C and 20C)
- Greater Redhorse (spawns between 13C and 19C)
- Golden Redhorse (spawns between 13C and 22C)

You can see that the times will overlap – however you will find more action at the lower temperature end for each of the types. I have caught all the above on a spring weekend.

Ideal water is a bit murky with some flow – but not a torrent. Most like sitting on current edge breaks and on the reverse flow side edge of large eddies. Crystal clear low flow don’t catch it.

The tackle is simple and light. The fish are not line shy but do seem to avoid overly large hooks. A medium light rod with 8lb test mono, #4 to #8 bait holder or circle hooks, and a few split shot is ideal (perhaps a light sliding 3/8 ounce sinker rig if current is strong).

Bait = worms. I use pieces or a half – using whole worms is really not necessary and will empty your bait can quickly.

Hook/thread the worm at least twice through and bury/hide the hook point.

Cast out your rig and either hold the rod or put your rod in a holder or forked stick. Hold the line or watch the tip-top for any quiver or twitch of the line.

Strikes are usually not aggressive (by a long shot), and some fish may nibble before a solid tug/tug/tug.

Silver Redhorse often take the bait without a tug or signal of any kind, and are “just there” when you go to reel in.

In cold water with current these fish are fun to catch, and when they are “in” you can have a lot of action in a short period of time. They can reach fair size that will test you on light tackle. FUN.

Make sure you have a set of good needle nose or a half decent hook dis-gorger as these fish can woof the bait.

Yet - These fish are both smell……. and sight feeders. They will hit small spinners aggressively and occasionally will take wet flies/nymphs.

Furthermore – do remember that white sucker, silver redhorse, and shorthead redhorse are currently (2016) on the allowed bait fish list, thus making great legal cut bait for other species (pike, cats, bowfin). I do recommend that one becomes familiar with how to identify these fish (my how to ID post on this site may help)

See ya out there……….

Cheers,

OldTimer
Caught my first ever white sucker last weekend in Toronto. I'm thinking next Saturday will be a trip fossil collecting at Arkona with a stop at the Thames on the way home for redhorse.
bump - soon
PLEASE- CAN ALL SUCKERS AND THESE REDHORSE BE USED FOR CUTBAIT FOR THE CATFISH?

tHANKS

jON
(02-28-2020 05:16 PM)MEATBALL Wrote: [ -> ]PLEASE- CAN ALL SUCKERS AND THESE REDHORSE BE USED FOR CUTBAIT FOR THE CATFISH?

tHANKS

jON

White sucker = Yes
Redhorses = Consult the "Baitfish Primer" put out by the gov't. If memory serves, some can be used but some certainly can not, and you need to know which is which and how to tell them apart.
I tried canning suckers last spring... yeah, not going to try that again! LOL. They weren't awful, but not worth the effort really.
bump

Cheers,

OldTimer
Reference URL's